Using 3-D printer for structures

illyad2

I have been considering purchasing a 3D printer, specifically for creating structures for my HO scale layout. Can anyone here share their experiences with this technology?
My limited knowledge tells me that a CAD file must be created and from that file a part can be generated by 3D printer. Are these CAD images files that can be trade or swapped between people?

Exactly what do you mean by " 3D printer?" I just treated myself to a Cricut Explored Air 2 for Christmas.

depends on what you mean by a 3d printer .. filament ones are usually cheaper, faster, and coarser than resin printers ..
and yes, 3d cad files are readily available, onr place is thingiverse

I must admit I didn't buy my 3d printer for doing model trains, but now I use it for that almost exclusively. Today I'm doing windows. I got some old models out, houses in need of refurbishing, and decided to redo all the windows, because, well, I'm staging my layout in summer, and none of the windows are open. In the early fifties, how many houses (especially in the rural coal mines) had air conditioning? I want my windows open, at least some of them. So I printed up windows that can be modeled in various open positions.
IMG_2056.JPG

The white painted ones are for company houses. The triple is one I will have to duplicate many times for a coal breaker, and where have you seen a commercial one like that? (And yes, I can open those, too, bottom and top.) Those are 3d printed, using a Prusa I3 MK2S, which is a fused filament fabrication (FFF) printer. Now, I will tell you, printing detail is tough. I'm using a 0.15 mm nozzle, whereas the standard size is 0.40 mm, and a layer height of 0.05 mm. It takes a bunch of practice and a lot of iterations before you get it right. However, I think the end product is worth it. This stuff is not from the internet; I do my own designs, using AutoCAD. I'm not sure if an internet program like Tinkercad (also from Autodesk, the makers of AutoCAD) can do stuff like this, but an experienced Tinkercad user may be able to tell you. And it was hard finding a filament I liked for small detail work. Most printers today use a 1.75 mm filament, which you can get from a number of sources. I prefer Paramount. That's my experience with FFF printers. Not sure if one of the 'cheap' ones will do the really small stuff; check the specs. (My Prusa, at about $700 for the kit, was a lot cheaper than the $2500 MakerBots I purchased for my school, but will run rings around the MakerBots! Doesn't have the bells and whistles, though. And they won't print fine details.) And I like PLA filament for the detail work. It's more brittle than ABS and PET, but it is so much better to reproduce detail, even down to 48 NBW's and door dogs on my P-5 smokebox front. And that's all in HO scale, too.

For me it was well worth it, as I've printed a whole locomotive so far and working on two others. Now I'm doing structures.
IMG_2055.JPG

New frame/Hodges trailing truck for Reading M-1.

Today I'm doing windows. I got some old models out, houses in need of refurbishing, and decided to redo all the windows, because, well, I'm staging my layout in summer, and none of the windows are open. In the early fifties, how many houses (especially in the rural coal mines) had air conditioning? I want my windows open, at least some of them. So I printed up windows that can be modeled in various open positions.

Anyone who has bought or lived in an old house will tell you: Replacing the windows is a good idea! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Seriously, though, I would love a 3d printer, but kind of hard to convince my spouse of the price for one for just my railroading hobby.

I have had an FDM (filament) printer for years. It's fun to play with, but it's too coarse for HO scale in my opinion.

I just purchased a resin printer and it's amazing. I'm going to be making all kinds of HO scale things with this. The main drawback with the resin printers is the build volume. It's pretty small. But I don't plan on printing whole locomotive shells or buildings so I should be okay.

Back