Upgrade Tip

funnelfan

I like using the Intermountain metal wheels to upgrade my equipment. But this presented a problem when it came to trucks that were of poor quality such as the whole Front Range > McKean > E&C Shops > LBF linage of equipment. Why spend $3 on a pair of trucks just to replace the wheels. All I really wanted was the plastic sideframes. Well I found the answer over on the Accurail website. You can buy just the plastic sideframes for around a $1 per pair. The price per car goes down as you buy more. I bought the 50 pair package, and now have enough to replace 50 cars worth of trucks (actually they gave me enough to do 57 cars)

http://accurail.com/accurail/parts.htm

Awhile back I auctioned off a couple dozen bags of Stewart trucks on eBay. Each bag contained 800 frames, enough for 400 cars. They went, on average, for $75 - $125 a bag. I guess there's something to be said for buying in bulk :rolleyes:

Thanks Ted, I really like the Accurail trucks, they have the cast on lettering detail! I'm going to order the 50 pack soon! I might have to order some of the Boxcar detail sets too, to use with my finger rack cars.

Back