updating my "old" N scale layout

grove den

naturally natural trees
It is a brand new year so new fresh ideas about the updating/rebuilding my N scale layout( 4 X 3 feet/90 X 125 cm)
First I show you the trackplan incl. the surrounding arreas. I have planned everything very carefully because:
# I had the time to do that:rolleyes:
# I had no place to built this layout for the last 10 years..:D
# Because it is so small I had to considder very carafully what I should add and what I should left, other words: not to overcrowded, a balance between track / scenery and realism...

oldlayoutev4.jpg

Between A and A is a small "underground" stagingyard: 2 tracks...)
attached pictures showing how it was and one how it is at "this moment" First one is the right-upper corner plus the trackplan that belongs to that part
The third and the last one are showing the right- corner in the front: after and before the great "cleaning up;)

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:
Jos,

That looks like an excellent tabletop layout! I wish N-scale had been the smae high quality as it is today, when I was a teenager. I had no space for a layout back in those days either.

That last photo in your attachments - is that of your old layout, or is it something you were able to save and to use on your new layout?

Nice layout Jos, lots of switching action too. Are you starting again or updateing scenery etc (keeping trackplan)

Ken.

Ken NZR: I will keep the trackplan!( I have worked on it for 2 years and I think it has, for me, enough possibillyties to play with...so I just want to update the layout ( better expression could be: extreme make over:D )

Ken LThe last picture is one of my old layout. The third picture, taken last week, shows the same "spot" only no green stuff and took away the small engine house etc....

Conrail 92 and Josh Thank you and I'll try to keep you updated as best as possible:)
Jos

Some carving

To make some experiences about the carving in plaster of paris I decided to make a rock for the castle on my layout so I could collect some skills again how it has to be done or could be done because I dindn't tuch these thing for years..Glad I didn't lost them(skills)
It is now ready and has to dry for two days so I can paint it first with a primer and after that has dryght I can start to color the rock with acrylpaint and a lot of water....last picture
The whole scene is about less than one feet...(25cm)

Jos

collered rocks

Here are the results of my efforts to "create"rocks... The Preisermen are in scale HO(20 mm)
After the whole rock was painted with acrylpaint and dryed I gave it a washing with alkyde paint (black) with a lot of terpintine. So the black paint flew into each carving I made. I let it dry a little bit and than took it off with a old cloth so that only the "inner parts" of the carving got some black paint...
Next step is to bright it up so I want "drybrush" the rocks with a lighter color but first this has to dry for 2 days...

Jos

Weathering the rock

Last evening busy with "weathering" the rock for the old castle....can't manage the right color so far.. but it starts looking like something as a ...rock

The brown/red stuff is pap-machee and I will cover it also with plaster of paris! So the shape of the rock will be exactly like the groundplan of the castle....( modelled it with the p.machee) So it will fit precisely when I have to remove the castle to put it on my new layout.

Jos

Jos,

It seems like your MR bug "vaccination" is finally starting to wear off!:D Those rock formations are fantastic [rocks are my Achilles heel of MRR, that's one reason I model non-mountainous areas]

Rocks ready

Finaly the rock is almost ready...After it has dryght I can go on wiyh the best part f MRR: adding the green stuff!:D

Jos

tryout

Last weeks, beside other MRR subjects, I made some trees for my own layout and had a little "tryout" If they are growing on the right place. With other wordes if they don't block the view axes so that the the important scenes are clearly visible.. still no buildings and cars , thats for the next time if the trees and shrubs are planted...
Jos

Jos,

How did you do that fantastic layout sketch - it ranks up there among those often seen in the magazines!

Thank you sir!
How did I do that? I'll be honnest: drawing is, beside MRR, one of my favorite hobbies and I visited a kind of school of art. There I choose the "direction" of drawing/etshing so everything that has to do with graphics. But back to your question: This sketch is the result of almost a year of designing... and because it is so small,I think that's important, I want to have everything in/at the right place. It is like a large diorama.
Most of all it is fun to make layout sketches!

Jos

Paul Thanks to SpaceMouse and Mrs. Claudia :eek: I learned again something new in your language...aw shucks.....;)

Jos

Back