Upcoming Layout

I'm hoping to start the first layout ive built in years... in the next couple weeks. Its just a simple switching setup based on the atlas plan HO-26 (southside connecting) that Ive changed ever so slightly, dropping the cheesy turn table, lengthening about 2 feet to make it a 2x12.

On one end of the layout to help hide the staging yard and to make the layout appear bigger I want to have a hwy bridge. Ive flipped thru my walthers book (its a 94 dont laugh too much) and I havent seen any..

So that leads me to my Question.. anybody know of a mfg'r? I can scratchbuild, but for the sake of time, id rather not have to go that route...yet.
Also what switch machines is everybody using? im looking at eh ... 8 - 10 switches to control, im going with DCC for control, so suggestions?

thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
To get what you want in a hwy bridge you can probably scratch-build it and have it in place long before you find exactaly the size and shape you want. Also if you scratch it, you can run it at an angle and get more effect from it.

Scott- What time period are modeling?
If you are looking at earlier periods, a railroad bridge can be modified easily into a highway bridge.
For modern overpasses, scatchbuilt is the way to go.
Sheet .080" styrene cut for four-lane traffic, L-girder to brace the roadwaysides. Make solid or spaced columns and then U-channel on top for a rail. Use light-weight builder's felt or roofer's felt cut to your blacktop size and stripe with a #10 brush and white or yellow craft paint.
You can use heavy gray construction paper for a concrete roadway.:eek: Make paper joints at offset roadway sections. Don't forget lots of those highway cracks and pothole patches.
Of course, it is quicker for me to describe than to construct.

Scavenger Mikey likes to turn odd leftovers into construction materials. I have used plastic meat trays for sidewalks and the curled edge makes neat window awnings for buildings.
How will your imagination redirect recycled material $$$ so you can afford more engines?
Mikey

4Starcstms said:
I'm hoping to start the first layout ive built in years... in the next couple weeks. Its just a simple switching setup based on the atlas plan HO-26 (southside connecting) that Ive changed ever so slightly, dropping the cheesy turn table, lengthening about 2 feet to make it a 2x12.

If you've looked at a lot of plans and like that one, go for it. But IMHO it's not very reflective of real RR practices and might not be all that fun to operate. I can see where it sells a lot of track.

In a similar space, one can capture more of the flavor of a real RR with a more logical configuration of yard, interchange, and industry tracks. Just as an example:
http://www.modelrail.us/gallery/id23.html

4Starcstms said:
Also what switch machines is everybody using? im looking at eh ... 8 - 10 switches to control, im going with DCC for control, so suggestions?

First of all, congrats on the new layout plans. You've got a lot of enjoyment ahead of you, make the most of it. :cool:

As for the switch machines, we use the Atlas twin coils, but only in hidden areas. For your uses, I'd think that the Circuitron Tortoise would be the way to go if you want automation. With DCC, depending on your system, you'll have the opportunity to program switch routes. That could be a handy thing.

We use Lenz stationary decoders, but many folks who use Tortoise machines prefer a decoder capable of continual output and the Lenz isn't set up for that (even so, some folks use them with their Tortoise machines without issues).

Still, for a shelf type layout, I'd recommend Caboose Industries ground throws. I actually enjoy manually throwing turnouts (like the prototype switching operations) and they are economical and reliable. They are even offer a version with switch contacts to light facia board position lights or signals (think dwarf signals on a switching pike, that would be way cool). Things to consider...

On the subject of switch machines, here's a few pics.

Lenz LS150, six channel stationary decoder with Atlas twin coils in a hidden staging yard.
118034218.jpg

Note the dwarf signal on the right in this pic. It's indicates nothing more than turnout position and is controlled by a Caboose Industries ground throw. The signal was made with styrene and a 3mm bipolar LED.
124771203.jpg

Thanks for the help! The Rix Bridges are exactly what I was lookin for. I will probably put my own together eventually, if I dont like the one from rix once its in, but for now It will definatly fit the bill.

I think the atlas switch motors work okay but are kinda unsightly in a industrial setting espcially with as many as will be installed. While the basic design might not be very prototypical, I want to keep the appearance very 'real' looking and those atlas switch machines just dont fit the bill. I had planned on using them in my hidden staging yard thou.

For the time period I would like from the mid to late 80s to current .. so it'll be pretty modern.There isnt really much in the way of scenery in the Southside connecting so if i dont like it, or dont like the operation of it, It'll be a fairly easy project to change..and im sure that I'll get tired of it eventually.

I've got alot to learn about DCC ... I think I'll pickup a book or two on the subject so I can learn as much as I can before I start ordering stuff, dont wanna waste time/money buying something that wont do everything I want it too.

Thanks Again for the help..and fast help @ that!

Im definatly lookin forward to being able to provide some pics for everybody! Building up the funds so I can get pretty much everything I need @ once. I hope to begin the benchwork next weekend and trackwork/wiring to follow the next week ($$ Depending)

I just got back from vacation so im having to pay all the bills before I Can play..

Cant wait till the weekend (Friday) I'll be starting on the benchwork and ordering my track, etc etc.. buildings to follow the next week.. im gettin excited!! I'll be able to contribute not just comment. YAY!

Back