up big boy to get reading paint?

Lab Rat

19 and crazy
i have a up big boy and i am thinking about going with a reading paint scheme any suguestions before i start and would i be frowned upon for defacing the up by making it a reading railroad loco

i have a up big boy and i am thinking about going with a reading paint scheme any suguestions before i start and would i be frowned upon for defacing the up by making it a reading railroad loco

Rule #1:

It's your railroad. Please yourself.

Reading did run some 2-8-8-0s that were converted to 2-8-8-2. Not a big boy, but they did run large steam locomotives.

i am not even sure how i would want it to look like. what is your oppinion. how would you layout the coloring. i was thinking about putting the green and yellow arrows on the back of the tender and possibly painting the boiler reading lines green. but i am not sure how i would lay it out. any sugguestions ideas pics?

Since I once lived in Berks County & model the Reading - Their steam engines were all basic black with a gold READING on the tender. The T-1s, G class & a few others had a gold box on the tender. Their tenders were nothing like the big boy tender. They were all 4 wheel trucks. The yellow/green scheme came with the diesels - I believe with the GP30s. There is a FALLEN FLAGS website that has plenty of steam shots as well as a book called "Rails Around Reading". Also there are books on the G class Pacifics & T-1s by Ben Bernhart/Outer Station Project. (and {shameless plug} I had a hand in producing all three of them). Morning Sun also has the Reading Company in Color V 1&2. PD Carleton also has "Reading Power Pictorial" - an oldie that may be out of print.

It's your road as others have said.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm a believer of the "it's your road, do what ever you like" theory. If you want it and it doesn't exist, make it, there are no rules. I'm considering renaming my N scale Clinchfield Challenger to Maine Central, did a propotype exist? Nope. Would the rivet counters take great offense? Probably, do I care? Nope :D

Back