UP ac4400 build.

UP ac4400 build. UPDATES!!!!!

Some of ya may recognize the shell from my scalecoat II paint thread.

Well i decided to just go ahead and continue on with it the more I looked at it the more i wasnt so disapointed with it. Plus itll get some weathering done to it so itll be all good.

Plus im doing this for me, not someone else. I got to talking to my self and asked why i was being so anal and picky, I couldnt anwer that lol.

Im not sure if this shell is 100% correct for UP as it was CSX version before. The only reason i say that is because of the 3 vents behind the cab you see, most that i see in UP only have 2. But I dont know there could be one out there. Even if there isnt i dont care to much as itll look good enough for me.

I still need to paint the truck side frames as can be seen and do the lower half of the engine with the grey.

Hopefully tommarow ill do that stuff.

Before
DSC00534.jpg

Now
DSC00568.jpg

Ill update tommarow if i get anything done.

thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its 7am and just got the lower portion painted grey.

Theres gonna be a few touch up spots need on both they yellow and grey. But after getting the grey on the yellow as started to look not quite oringesh (nice word) enough.

but thats ok as i plan on this one being nice & filthy. So ya wont be able to tell that much anyways.

Now off to the dehydrator to bake it for a good 6 hours. Then ill have to wait for my micro-sol & set to get here before i start the decals.

I still need to get the handrails, glass & truck details orderd as i dont have any of that.

So here is an updated pic for now.

DSC00569.jpg

Now its time to jump back on UP # 3300 (united way) so look for an update there maybe later today.

another quick update.

was getting the frame all back together & putting the motor, ect in to test it as i refurbed the trucks with new axle gears, and other gears as needed. Only to find out I dont have the dang drive shafts 50+ athearn motors sitting here and only 6 of the hex drive shafts, and both the wrong length LOL

So heres a quick shot of the shell on the frame.

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00584.png

Also i must ask what do you guys use to mask of stuff when you paint. Tape, liquid mask?? What ever ya use id like to hear what it is and why ya use it.

For masking, I used to use drafting tape. Now I put a strip of regular blue 3M masking tape on plate glass, use a straightedge and razor blade to cut a clean edge, and apply. Burnish the edge just before spraying. Never tried the liquid mask stuff, but I think it would be handy for irregular shapes.

Nice work so far, Stang. I use mostly the 3M bule tape as well but have used the liquid mask when I have to spray small thing like grab irons and tape doens't fit well. It works fine for the but I don't think I'd used for a whole engine. Since you paint it on, it's hard to get a straight line. The tape works much better for large areas but burnishing the edges, as Steve said, and getting the tape off as soon as possible after spraying, are two things that help with sharp lines.

Nice work. BTW, UP does own a few with 3 DB vents. They're part of the very first order.

Was that an undecorated shell before you started? I didnt see that mentioned in the other thread. Unless I missed, which may be possible. Sometimes that happens with me.

Well, since there has been a few threads on stripping paint. What did you use to strip the paint of this shell then? It looks like from the other thread, this is an Athearn shell?

yes it is, I used 91% alcohol at first, but it wasnt doing much, so i switched to easy off oven cleaner. Brake fluid would prolly been faster and cheaper though.

UPDATE...

started applying decals tonight. Boy do i hate UP red stripes. They are given me hell.

But heres a quick pic for now.

DSC01061.jpg

i must say the red stripe looks better in the pics. But once its decaled itll get a coat of dullcoat then some weathering.

Stang;

To help insure my stripes go on straight, I use a small straight edge, dipped in H2O to help move the decals into a "straighter" alignment.

I just use a small scrap piece of styrene made from a piece of Evergreen plastic strip.

Stang;

To help insure my stripes go on straight, I use a small straight edge, dipped in H2O to help move the decals into a "straighter" alignment.

I just use a small scrap piece of styrene made from a piece of Evergreen plastic strip.

ill have to give that a try.

Another Update 1 side is almost done. Still need to add all the data decals. Damn you UP and your stinking lil red stripes lol.

As ya can see im doing #6724. The UP & WWD logo arnt a 100% in the correct spot according to the real thing. But not a big deal to me.

I think thats enough for tonight the stripes just make me go nuts n stuff ha ha.

DSC01064.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

Started doing some of the grab irons this afternoon. to take a lil break from decals. Massive headache and decals dont mix to well.

DSC01070.jpg

love the red stripes. they actually look like they reflect the light a little like the real thing. i've got a couple UP engines and the dull red stripes drive me crazy. where did you get the decals?

Back