Unwanted Caboose Uncoupling

You have found the biggest flaw with MicroTrains couplers! I started out years ago with between the rails uncoupling magnets and quickly came to dislike them for several reasons, this being one. A couple of other reasons being appearance (the magnets can sometimes be disguised as crossings) and another being the unrealistic number of moves required to uncouple a car, especially if spotting a car past the magnet.

I hate the slinky effect that MT couplers give to the last car or two in a train, so I put a spring that MicroTrains sells just for this reason on at least one axle of every MT equipped car. It's a lot easier to use a bamboo skewer or a RIX uncoupling tool to uncouple where you want.

As said, you can take the trip pin out of Accumate and Kato couplers without affecting their functionality but MT couplers will have to be cut off just below the bottom of the coupler. One benefit of doing this is no worries of derailment if a trip pin snags the diverging rail at a switch if the trip pin is too low.

I actually think it's more realistic using a skewer to uncouple cars in the train. Plus, you have the added benefit of getting paid as the engineer and a brakeman as well. :)

I actually think it's more realistic using a skewer to uncouple cars in the train. Plus, you have the added benefit of getting paid as the engineer and a brakeman as well. :)
Hmm.. I haven't been getting the brakeman's pay, I'll have to talk to my union rep about it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Back