Unknown Passenger cars

I found these in Lakevill Mn.
They were sitting behind an empty commercial building. There were boxcars with them with the reporting marks TR.
There no reporting marks on the passenger car and ATL on the flat car. The genarator was pluged in to the passenger cars and not running when the pics were taken.

TR used to be Tomahawk Railway, not sure if it still is or not.
ATL is AT&L railroad but not sure what it stands for...
One of the Loram trains I've worked with had a similar passenger car in the consist, very roomy.

They look like bi-level commuter cars...the color would make them ex-CNW, but beyond that I'm not sure.

Pullman Bi-level commuter cars, Ex CNW used in Chicago area commuter service. Walthers makes a GREAT example of this car in HO.

I see those cars all the time on the end of Alaska RR passenger sets on RailPictures.net in their colors.

Very nice catch! Interesting....will have to see if anymore info comes up from someone...

The reporting marks would indicate the Tomahawk Railroad. Those are old C&NW bilevel commute cars, freshly painted. I suspect the interior was stripped and the TR is getting ready to start an excursion/dinner train. Couldn't find out anything else but I imagine the generator on the flatcar is servicing as head end power for testing purposes.

Tomahawk Railway - former Marinette, Tomahawk & Western - now Genesee & Wyoming owned ??????? MT&W was located in Tomahawk, WI. I visited it in 1980 & missed the train by 20 minutes & no way to chase it. Line now runs from Tomahawk to Bradley.

As far as I know, the TR isn't doing any passenger work. This is more likely something that the Progressive Rail is doing, after all, they are from Lakeville, MN.

The cars themselves are intriguing...Where did they come from, what is their purpose? I know the Great Lakes Western (small excursion service that was from Burlington, WI) had a few like this, but I haven't heard of their disposition since their last excursions in the mid 90's.

Right now there is a Budd RDC car from the Alaska Railroad IN Tomahawk...It was going to be used for a proposed Bible camp there, but a week after it was delivered to there (2 weeks ago), they canceled the plans, or so I have been told.

I almost got stuck riding in one of those up in Duluth. It was part of the fall colors excursion from Duluth to Two Harbors. The car had scratched, green plexiglass windows in a city bus like interior. Luckily, we were able to ride in an old heavyweight instead. Here are a few pictures of both cars.

Duluth10-4-08071.png

Duluth10-4-08062.png

Back