Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Jim, I guess I'd have to see a picture of it from above to really understand it. Is the retaining wall on the deck of the bridge or on top of the plate girders themselves?

Hi Jim

The wall iss on top of the girders - next time i am in Birmingham I will get pictures for you.

A few more in progress pics showing, I hope, a little of my methods

markedout.jpg

The wall marked out and cut out of foamboard. I draw everything in illustrator first, print it out and stick it to the material I am working with. I then cut though the template and material at the same time. Keeps everything nice and square and saves marking out again.

inside.jpg

Using a scrap piece to hold the wall to the angle I need. To ensure a good fit of the angle I cut the edge with a 45 degree mount cutter (pictured)

inprogress.jpg

Building up the wall using card and embossed plasticard. The wall slopes gently at the bottom so I used 2mm card spacers to give the effect I wanted. Everything is stuck together with double sided tape.

corner.jpg

By using the mount cutter you can get very neat corners with minimum faff. The mount cutter itself takes a bit of effort to learn to use but the amount of wonky cuts I am making is getting slowly smaller.

Cheers

Jim

Very nice tutorial there. Jim. I've never though of using double sided tape of some details but you've given me some ideas now.

Right then…

…Time for one of those step back things that people are prone to do!

Starting with the plank. Many have commented (very kindly I might add) that if the standard of the layout proper matches the plank it will be good. However there are loads of short cuts on the plank that i was happy to accept for a test track but hoped the layout would show an improvement. One of those is the retaining walls as seen below.

Newplank1.jpg

Looks quite spacious without the OLE hu?

I have to be honest and say I am quite chuffed with how the walls for the main layout are coming together and for me its the sort of improvement I wanted.

retainingwallmore.jpg

Still more to do like filling and waiting for everything to fully harden before straightening out the handrails. Also the ladder needs a safety cage and the all important coating of grime but so far so good.

Cheers

Jim

Not bored at all, Jim, your walls look great. What is the bundle of copper wire running at the base of the walls? Looks like a good way to zap trespassers but I'm sure they must have another use. :)

Hi All

As a break from walls I have been playing with a couple of toy lorries from Corgi (a kids toy company)

The MAN one uses the Corgie cab, Base toys chassis and bed and the Hi-Ab comes from Herpa. It has had its bed widened and guard rails and lights added

corgietrucks.jpg

Also in the pic a Ford Cargo with Base toys chassis and a scratchbuilt box body and tail lift. The pic below shows a before and after.

corgietrucks2.jpg

Jim

Forgive me if this wasn't the intention, but the purple and white cab looks like the old Cadbury's wagons. Which would be approriate for New Street. :)

It just needs a band of gold between the purple and white.

Hi All

Been busying myself with equipment boxes.

variousboxes.jpg

The pic shows Back - air conditioners adapted from the Unit Models parts.

front left - S-Kits kit. next Metro Models ready to use and the last 4 scratchbuilt ones.

Cheers

Jim

Those look good, Jim. I was just think that I'm starting to put up level crossing signals and track sgnals but don't have single equipment cabinet. I'll guess I'll have to add them to my to-do list.

Hi All

Been getting busy with paint. I am happy with progress so far but still some more to do. On the plank I experimented with using Markers (letraset ones) to pick out variations in the bricks. You need to leave this stage to the very end though as weathering washes the marker away. Thus the wall is fairly flat and yet suitably grimy.

Hope you like :D

tunnelmouth-1.jpg

overview - not started on the main girders yet.

wallincolour.jpg

gantry.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Jim, those walls do look good and grimy. The light platform is outstanding. Proabably a dumb question but, do those lights actually work? It looks like even getting a tiny LED in there would be tough so I suspect not but it sure would be a cool effect if they did work.

Hi Jim

They dont work, mainly because I rarely see them on in the day and when they are they are pretty dim. Thanks for the kind comments though

Jim

Back