Under Construction - Birmingham UK

Hi Jim

It is paper. The track plan is printed full size at work and stuck to the baseboard tops. This is then rubbed over with a wallpaper 'pricker' and sanded smooth. The track is superglued on top. The use of the wallpaper 'pricker' means that the glue soaks through the paper and bonds with the wood underneath

Regards

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, very cool idea. I've heard of using full size track plans to lay out the actual track but yours is the first I've seen where the paper gets incorporated into the layout.

Hi All

Been playing with paint. First using Games workshop 'roughcote' for texture and then a couple of colours from the plasticote range as per Chris Nevards method. The effect is a lot more subtle than Chris was after as the prefab platforms at New Street seem to use a concrete with not a lot of aggrigate in.

Pictured below is the result alongside an out of the pack platform section.

platforms-1.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Agreed, those look plenty good enough to pass as concrete, Jim. The three foot rule will work just fine in your favor. :)

Hi all

What follows is how the layout is stored and moved.

layoutbox.jpg

Shows 2 boards packed into their ends. Gives a glimpse of the boards construction too. The odd shapes mean the end packing sometimes has to take the form of some interesting sculptures.

boxwheels.jpg

one of each end board is fitted with these rubber wheels so that each pack can be easily moved. The packs measure 5ft by 3ft 3 by 2ft 6 and are far to heavy to be comfortably lifted by 2 people hence the wheels.

I know this will be obvious stuff to many on here but I dont see layout packing shown that often on forums and thought someone might find this useful :D

regards

Jim

Thats Great Jim, i only moved one layout at a show, that was Leylands N scale model a few years ago, that was in about 15 sections, never done it since, if i ever get into MR shows in NZ it'll be with a smallish layout like "Calcutta sidings" thats one you have worked in isn't it or am i mistaken, loved it whoever built it

Jim, it's not obvious at all how to pack a layout. Looks like you've done a fine job making it reasonably easy to do.

Thats Great Jim, i only moved one layout at a show, that was Leylands N scale model a few years ago, that was in about 15 sections, never done it since, if i ever get into MR shows in NZ it'll be with a smallish layout like "Calcutta sidings" thats one you have worked in isn't it or am i mistaken, loved it whoever built it

Thats right Steve

It was built and owned by Phil Eames but its scrapped now. Is successor (calcutta Sidings 2) will share the fiddleyard with New Street so it will be 52 feet long - nearly twice the size

Jim

Hi all

Spurred on by part of the layout visiting the Scaleforum exhibition work starts on the retaining walls for board one. The outer sides will be ply but the inners are the new dense foamboard you can get. This stuff seems to have no reaction to superglue or spray paint which is interesting.

retainingwall.jpg

The first wall - A relatively simple affair until I realised there is a walkway and a lighting point near one end.

retainingwalllights.jpg

Close up of said walkway. Still got the ladder and its safety cage to add yet but pretty pleased with it so far. And yes, before anyone asks, this will be the operating side not the public facing side.

Jim

Cheers Jim, That will be great to see i am sure, Robin Grubba and Mick Parker got me into visiting Railway shows, you may know Robin, most people do :) for various reasons ;)

That wall and walkway looks great. It looks like all that detail was a bit fiddly but you sure got it right.

Jim, Outstanding work as ussual.
I always look forward to your projects and reports on them. I'm working on a retaining wall right now. It has arched recesses, and it runs about 7 feet long. You are giving me some ideas of how to detail it.

What company made the sheet brick work you used?

Thanks
Ron

Hi All

More progress on walls! Thanks to the generous donations of a few RMweb members (a british model rail forum) this is the main tunnel mouth for the wolves end. Class 86 is for scale but getting an area big enough for both bits proved a tad problematic.

tunnelmouth2.jpg

tunnelmouth.jpg

Jim

Jim, you lost me on this one. If this is a tunnel portal, why do you need steel plate girders to support it? You'd normally only use this for something load bearing on the top like a bridge and then you wouldn't have any of the retaining wall extend above the steel girders. I must not be understanding all this correctly.

Jim, you lost me on this one. If this is a tunnel portal, why do you need steel plate girders to support it? You'd normally only use this for something load bearing on the top like a bridge and then you wouldn't have any of the retaining wall extend above the steel girders. I must not be understanding all this correctly.

Hi

Thats right. In this case New Street is under the city and is accessed by tunnels from both ends. So while you are absolutely correct that this is more like a bridge than a tunnel its a very long bridge with a lot of stuff on top of it.

I hope the following prototype picture helps a little.

Jim

Ah, I get it now, the retaining wall is behind the bridge. You picture made it look like the retaining wall was on top of the bridge girders.

Back