Under Construction - Birmingham UK

More Progress

SBsmallbuildingroof.jpg

Some of the vents on the roof, mostly scratchbuilt but with some tops from the unit models N gauge vents http://www.unitmodels.co.uk/shop/

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

A bit more progress on various Air conditioners.

moreaircons.jpg

Left to right, scratchbuilt, scratchbuilt, S kits. Unit models (cut in half) and unit models adapted with new vent from tube and class 47 roof grill and fan.

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

the small building is now essentially complete. Just a few minor things to add, bits to paint then its going to be mounted on the layout and coated in grime. Got to do the retaining walls first though.

sbsmall-essentiallydone.jpg

Thoughts have turned to platforms. The Peco ones are very close to what I need. however the ones at BNS are made up from 3 sections so I made a couple of little jigs to help me scribe the division lines onto them. A rough estimate means I need something in the region of 40 meters worth :? :? :?

platforms.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Miles

There are 3 stations in Birmingham City Center. New Street is the largest but there is also Moor Street and Snow Hill. My friend is modelling Moor Street (set much earlier than my model) but he asked me to do a small section of the goods shed for him. This was a bit different to the norm as I decided to model both sides of the walls and detail the insides. What follows are a few pics.

Jim

goodsshedfinished1.jpg

CRW_4561.jpg

Hi All

The long weekend meant I could re-focus attention back to track. Not as exciting as the previous board but here's some pics

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

this one shows the new stuff done over the last 2 days.

Cheers

Jim

Jim, if i ever win the lottery and can purchase a building the size of an aircraft hanger i want you to build the tracks needed for my Hoboken terminal i envision in my head. You do some great work with laying your own track.

Jim, what can I say? Fantastic structure modeling and trackwork as usual. When you say you need forty meters of platform, are you talking scale or real meters? Even for you, 40 real meters of platform sounds like a lot of work. :)

Hi Jim

40 actual meters. There are 10 platforms of roughly 350 scale meters each (it is a lot of work!!)

Regards

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, if i ever win the lottery and can purchase a building the size of an aircraft hanger i want you to build the tracks needed for my Hoboken terminal i envision in my head. You do some great work with laying your own track.

Cool - you better get playing then? Will I like New Jersey? :)

Got any links to pics of Hoboken Terminal?

Jim

Cool - you better get playing then? Will I like New Jersey? :)

Got any links to pics of Hoboken Terminal?

Jim

Would you like NJ? Good question, it depends. Do you like snow, sometimes lots of it in the winter? Heat waves in the summer? sometimes there isn't a spring or fall cause it can go from winter straight to summer it seems. Same goes for fall, last year it went from summer to winter. THe leaves didn't change color till almost mid november and by the end of november were gone. But NJ has ALOT of railroad's to fan on. Lots of them. CSX, NS,NYSW,NJT,M&E,CMSL,AMTRAK,BEL-DEL,W&W and a few im missing.
Oh and lots of traffic and women in SUV's talking on there cellphones and not paying attention LOL

Anyway here is a link that I hope works for windows live local.
Hoboken terminal yard

And a shot that i just saved from the site.
hob1.jpg

And a pano that i took about a month ago. the watermarks are from the program i used, they add them if you use the free trial version.
hobokenadjusted.jpg

Hi All

This summer we have been good with the wood again and now have all the baseboards done for the station area - wolves tunnel to london tunnel. this is how it looks so far and the following constitutes about a third of the layout whole.

CRW_5474.jpg

view from the london end

CRW_5480.jpg

view from the wolves end

CRW_5477.jpg

CRW_5476.jpg

views from what will be the front (public side)

Cheers

Jim

Hi Steve

No - this was done over the summer. The 3 new boards being completed over 3 days! Still need to do the filling, sanding and treating bit though. If you are around on the last weekend of September the layout will be appearing as a work in progress at Scaleforum

Jim

Back