Uncouplers , or not

jim81147

I have noticed , reading through the threads here and watching some of the videos posted of some of these beautiful railroads here like Lynnb's , Montanan's , Kens , Tony's and lots others that have done build threads/video's that magnetic uncouplers don't seem to be present . I was wondering , how it is on these roads that seem operation intensive , how do you uncouple ? Are the magnets there , just well concealed or does everyone get a rix pic or something similar? I am at a point on mine that ballast will be starting in the near future on parts of it so I need to make a decision . Are the magnets troublesome ? Thanks for input.

I cut the trip pins on most of my cars and use bamboo skewers as a pic.
Now that you mention it I don't know anyone who uses magnets, as neat as they are.

I have one uncoupler stratigically placed, under the ties also like above. If I were to re do it I would go with the electromagnet one.

The magnet uncouplers need to be in a straight section and everything has to be right for them to work. I wonder if the magnet looses some of it's umph over time?

I'm a trip pin cutter also and I use the 'Hand of God' method and just lift em off to uncouple and set em back down!

I have noticed , reading through the threads here and watching some of the videos posted of some of these beautiful railroads here like Lynnb's , Montanan's , Kens , Tony's and lots others that have done build threads/video's that magnetic uncouplers don't seem to be present . I was wondering , how it is on these roads that seem operation intensive , how do you uncouple ? Are the magnets there , just well concealed or does everyone get a rix pic or something similar? I am at a point on mine that ballast will be starting in the near future on parts of it so I need to make a decision . Are the magnets troublesome ?
When I started operating seriously in 1984, every layout in the operating group used the magnets. Now of that original operating group I can only think of 1 (The Laramie River) that still has magnets. Most of the layout owners have removed them. Of the new layouts in the new operating groups I've joined I can also only think of 1 of the 20 or so that has magnets (The Wind River). The magnets aren't really all that troublesome. It is those ugly trip pins on each coupler that cause the problems. If they sag, droop, or even drop a bit because a dip in the track work, they can snag on crossing rails and derail equipment or even rip the coupler out of the pocket. The museum layout requires the trip pin to be cut off all equipment, helping to ensure trouble free operation.

We use mostly bamboo skewers to uncouple the cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut all the 'hoses' off mine. (As evidenced by my big box of goodies in the For Sale section.)

Subliminal hint to check it out.

I cut all the 'hoses' off mine. (As evidenced by my big box of goodies in the For Sale section.)

Subliminal hint to check it out.

Time after time I see they are being 'chucked' in most all fleets. Now that I'm up and running I see why, they are a NUISANCE!

About 30 years ago I tried a couple of KD uncoupler magnets. I found out (1) the coupler "hoses" on the railcars had to be PERFECTLY set, and (2) I couldn't just stop my train anywhere on the layout - inevitably (and often) a coupler with its "airhose" would stop right over a magnet (not electro magnet), and when I started my train I had a break-in-two (that really irritated me.) So within a month or two those magnets were removed and have stayed removed.

The bamboo skewers work pretty good, but so does my "big hook" (hand.) I also have a couple of straight-track re-railers on tangent track that are positioned close to control-central (me).

DougC

I use KD under the track uncoupling magnets and a couple of above track uncouplers. I have areas that are too far from the edge of the layout to use my RIX uncoupling tools and even close to the edge I have under the track uncouplers. The locations of the under track units are marked with some foliage material from Walthers that is mounted in the middle of the uncoupler. I add the uncoupler "markers' as I ballast the track.

Yes, the rolling stocks coupler trip pins must be in good alignment to operate properly with the uncouplers. I check all my couplers to be sure they are withing the proper height. I mounted a uncoupler magnet at the end of my work bench's DCC programming track to check my rolling stock's coupler operation.

My opinion is that locating rolling stock over the uncouplers is part of the operating fun. I try to avoid installing the uncouplers where a train might stop and
perhaps be "parked" over the uncoupler.

In the attached photo, in the lower left, there is an uncoupling magnet under the spilled iron ore and is marked by the discarded railroad ties. Later today, I will mark the location with foliage material and I will post another photo of the completed area.

Thanks.

40 Foot Steel Reefer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My last layout had the magnetic uncouplers at my structures but I just couldn't bring myself to likeing the look. My buddy Doug Coffey has the magnetic uncouplers bit his are under the track ties and fall away when not needed.

I used to cut off the uncoupling pins. Now I use sergents. If you have a large fleet like my nscale layout was they end up causing derailments and that bends the couplers so they droop even more.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JazzDad:

Regarding break-in-twos - "Just like 1:1 scale!"

You're exactly right - - - - - but it doesn't make me feel any better. :)

Back