Uh Oh, another Newbie!

If you are still thinking of ideas, I'd suggest using XTrakCad to do your layout design. Takes a bit of getting used to but it is free (open source) - it has been invaluble to me. You can run "test trains" on it - great for getting a feel of the size. Then, when you're ready, you can print it 1:1 scale and lay the sheets out in the intended room. It's just awesome. :)

Mark

Then, when you're ready, you can print it 1:1 scale and lay the sheets out in the intended room. It's just awesome. :)

Mark

I love using this program. I used it to plan small and large plans. The 1:1 printout is great, especially for complicated areas of track work.

Here's a few samples of how I used it.
View attachment 7239

In this next one you can see the switches laying on the printout. The Atlas, Walther's/Shinohara and Peco tracks matched up perfectly to the print. So the program is real reliable on accuracy.
View attachment 7240

Hiya Shag, and welcome to MRF (a bit late I admit! :eek:)

I see you've already settled on the metal wheels - smart move! Makes it much easier to keep the track clean.

I'll second the opinion that you ought to build your 'learning' layout in the same scale that you want your big one to be, so none of your new equipment goes to waste. Also, see if you can tolerate the tiny clearances you'll need to work in with N scale - I mention this because I've watched my own eyesight deteriorate significantly over the past two years!

If your ultimate layout was going to be in HO, then I would say go ahead. But I would not be surprised if you ended up with your 4 x 8 layout in N-scale being everything you want in a layout. I designed an n-scale layout that was going to be a temporary layout while I worked on my dream layout. What I created in a space 3.5 x 7 was not only enough in terms of a project to keep me busy for years, it was complex enough that it would have kept me interested for years.

I determined that I had to interests: operations and rail-fanning. I also like country side and urban canyons. I like to set trains off running and watch and I like to get to the nitty-gritty of rail product movement.

So I designed a two part layout divided in two with one side the hills of Pennsylvania. It was a two track mainline in which I planned to set a freight running in one direction and a sleek Amtrak running the other.

The other side was a freight yard set in a dense downtown urban canyon with manufacturing facilities offices and hotels looming over switchers who weaved through the streets.

door05.gif

The two tracks at the top represented and interchange with staging.

What is staging and why do I need it.

I estimated this at a 5 year project. It would have put a dead stop on my basement layout so I never started it. I might have, had I been able to get my hands on some Norfolk Southern Dash-9s which is what my son and I see on the mainline here in PA.

My 4X8 N-scale layout. This is a modified and expanded version of my HO scale idea, and with the extra room it appears I can have a more active staging area.

Nlayout.png

Legend:
Blue = level track
Teal = underground
Red = elevated

This assumes that the layout will be all snap track, which isn't gonna happen, but it makes it easier for me to visualize the scale of the layout. Also, this is no way a final design. I'm sure there will be many changes before I even start laying track out on the table.

(Made with RTS. I am still learning the XtrkCAD program.)

First, good move switching to XtrkCAD. Although some people like Phillip get good at the program, most people I see that use it end up getting limited by their abilities with the software. Stuff like not being able to get the tracks close in yards and dual mains etc. XtrkCAD is a lot more versatile and there are a lot of things you can do really quickly like build yard ladders. If you locate the turnout in a yard throat. I can build a 10-track yard in under 15 seconds.

Comments on the layout design.

The good.

Lots of staging.
Set-up for railfanning.
Inexpensive design

The not so good.

No variety. at 1 hour per day, you'll have run 350,000 laps before it's done.
There's really nothing else to do. No industry. No chance for interchange.

With your intelligence, you'll be bored before you start your scenery. So what you need is experience to find out what you like to do. You live in a decent sized town, see if there's a model railroad club. Your LHS should know if they are there. Get in and run some of the trains. See what you like.

Now don't feint. Post a list of the track you have left from years ago. Let's see if we can put together a fun little temporary switching layout or puzzle. If you like that type of thing, you can incorporate it into the layout.

Thee is a fundamental distinction that I would like to make. The difference between a toy train and a model railroad revolves around the idea of purpose. Real railroads never build just to have a place to go or see the sights. They have purpose. They are about making money. The three fundamental ways railroads make money are: getting raw materials from their natural resources to market (lumber, mines, etc.); shipping and receiving freight; and passenger service. The bible for translating theses operations into trackwork is Track Planning for Realistic Operations by John Armstrong. Buy, beg, borrow, or steal it. Librarys usually have it or can get it from interlibrary loan.

sitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

In the meantime, here is a primer on layout design put together by the Layout Design Special Interest Group.

I love using this program. I used it to plan small and large plans. The 1:1 printout is great, especially for complicated areas of track work.

Actually Ron, you were a great help and inspiration in my current plan. Thanks bro and keep those progess pics in your thread coming. *thumbsup*

I love these threads guys - all these great ideas bounced around helps all us new guys in the planning stages. Keep it coming! :D

Mark

Hello DJ,
I'm also new to the forum but a long time MR, so if I might take a bit of liberty
I'll say welcome too.

As far as the wheel sets I also prefer the metal with the RP25 contour which is probably now standard. I believe that for the most part I've changed most of my Old Time Trussrod cars to metal wheel sets. I'm building a new layout that is somewhat old now as I haven't worked on it due to various reasons but joining this forum certainly got me in the mood to get going again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back