U.S. Freight Railroad Industry Snapshot

Nice to see NY brings in 4 times what we ship out... oh yeah and our biggest export is waste/scrap...

Cool website though thanks for sharing

You're welcome. Thought that was pretty neat .. someone modeling modern railroads could use those products to help determine what is shipping on their layout I figure. Notice that NY ships waste and scrap but doesn't receive such .. must be going to NJ .. :)

yeah prolly just across the river, i keep forgetting we get stuck with NYC. For the rest of the country im sure when they hear NY they instantly think NYC, but for people like me who live in actual upstate NY (you know the ones with farms and mts in their backyards, not westchester or rockland county :rolleyes:), i hardly think about it. Lol theyre one of the reasons i cant have my license til im 16 :rolleyes:

But hey the stone gravel and sand comes from my part of the state! All 4.2% of it :D

Wow that is really neat! I didn't realize Colorado was such a big exporter of Coal at 72%

Wow that is really neat! I didn't realize Colorado was such a big exporter of Coal at 72%

You also have to look at the tons. That 72% is almost 23 million tons of coal. If you look at the 'Ending in Colorado' .. about half .. 51.5% of your traffic still coal with almost 15 million tons. I'm guessing then that you guys 'consume' all but 8 million tons. Think I'm looking at that right.

You also have to look at the tons. That 72% is almost 23 million tons of coal. If you look at the 'Ending in Colorado' .. about half .. 51.5% of your traffic still coal with almost 15 million tons. I'm guessing then that you guys 'consume' all but 8 million tons. Think I'm looking at that right.

Ya I was checking some other states and didn't see that alot of other places had that high percentage of coal.

Edit: Except for Wyoming which is a whopping 98% at mil. 427 tons!

I was trying to figure out where Ethanol is in there, would that be considered petroleum product?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, didn't know that Grand Trunk Corporation and Kansas City Southern Railway Co are class 1 railroads.

interesting source

yeah prolly just across the river, i keep forgetting we get stuck with NYC. For the rest of the country im sure when they hear NY they instantly think NYC, but for people like me who live in actual upstate NY (you know the ones with farms and mts in their backyards, not westchester or rockland county :rolleyes:), i hardly think about it. Lol theyre one of the reasons i cant have my license til im 16 :rolleyes:

But hey the stone gravel and sand comes from my part of the state! All 4.2% of it :D

As a Western NYer I agree! ;)

Back