Tyco HO Silver Streak from late 70's locomotive engine help

thetravhi

Hi, Everyone. Recently, I pulled out my old train set from when I was a kid. I have a 4x8 piece of plywood and excited to get rolling again. Plugged it in, set up the track, and then remembered the engine stopped working years ago. The light comes on, but it makes no noise. So, I found another one online and ordered it along with some more track. Guess what? The engine does the same thing! Light, but no movement or sound.

I know that the track and power does work as I have another engine that moves around the track with the power on.

So, I am wondering two things:
1) Has anyone ever repaired this defective engine?
2) Is there a place I can send it to repair them?

Thank you for any advice.

-Mike :)

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 260
If you hear nothing from the motor but lights come on, I'd pull the shell off and make sure a wire didn't break loose from the motor. If you don't see a broken wire, with the shell off, you can put it on the track and see, the motor may be running but the connectors (plastic) to the wheels may have broken. This is unlikely as you'd still hear the whir of the motor, but doesn't hurt to verify.

1. No, but sounds like a broken wire or motor brush. Is the photo you showed the original loco or the one you just got? As I recall those locos have the motor mounted on one of the trucks.
The motor does appear to be inside the middle area, but it is not easily removable like another engine I have. I will have to try and pull it apart.

Thanks for the response.

That was my first locomotive as well. I found one that I plan to restore, but haven't messed with in a while.

It would be nice to convert it to DCC, but I don't think that's possible given that one side sends power directly to the motor.

I think I may have one or two of them in my auction stuff. I'll look tonight.

May or may not work. I know i have 2 or 3 of the cabooses or is it cabeese?

That was my first locomotive as well. I found one that I plan to restore, but haven't messed with in a while.

It would be nice to convert it to DCC, but I don't think that's possible given that one side sends power directly to the motor.
Most DC locomotives have the motor grounded to the frame or one side of the trucks. To convert to DCC you have to insulate the motor from the frame. I have done this with steam locomotives but never tried it with diesels.
Stay well and safe!

OK, looked through the stash and found the two Silver streak caboose, and the Silver streak engine I thought I had is a red and chrome Bachmann model. Runs halfway decently, but the rubber on one of the traction wheels is partially gone, so it bumps like it has a square wheel.

Sorry I didn't have what I thought.

Back