Two Motors?

Railrunner130

I saw a kitbashed 0-4-4-0 on Ebay that had been built by combining two 0-4-0s. There was obviously only one motor and one unpowered set of drive wheels. I found it an interesting project to put somewhere on my never-ending list....

Anyhow,
In the straight DC world, two engines on the same track is a huge no-no. What I'm wondering is if in the DCC world you use a single decoder with the appropriate wiring, could this locomotive potentially use two motors?

I saw a kitbashed 0-4-4-0 on Ebay that had been built by combining two 0-4-0s. There was obviously only one motor and one unpowered set of drive wheels. I found it an interesting project to put somewhere on my never-ending list.
This is not obvious to me. I would have built it with two motors.

In the straight DC world, two engines on the same track is a huge no-no.
There is a huge difference in having two locomotives operating independently on the same track vs working them in a lash up. I often ran 3 and 4 locos together. There are also many instances of x-8-8-x and x-6-6-x class locomotives with two motors. Even the Athearn DD35X had an option to have two motors.

What I'm wondering is if in the DCC world you use a single decoder with the appropriate wiring, could this locomotive potentially use two motors?
The only problem there would be current draw. The decoder would have to be heavy duty enough to power both. Of course there isn't any reason it couldn't have two decoders also.

When I run my Proto 2000 ABBBA PA/PB's (still all DC, center B unpowered) in their lashup, they run like one engine even with a long train of coaches behind them. Very little to nil hunting, even between that dummy. They are so evenly matched it seems impossible, but that's the way they are. And that's the secret to consisting in DC. All the same brand and drivelines will usually be OK. It's when you mix and try to match brand against brand, gear ratios against gear ratios, that mismatching could occur. With DCC you can adjust the CV's to even things out, not always easily and across the speed ranges of the individual locos.

I think you may be confusing having 2 DC engines on the same track and having 2 independently controlled DC engines on the same power block. That is not possible, but 2 or more all controlled by the same cab, is.

Several locos come with 2 motors, Athearn Genesis' DDA40X and now Bachman's as well. The Genesis has 2 synchronised decoders, 1 for each motor, even begins the diesel motor start-up sounds sequentially. Proto's E8/E9's are the same and I'm sure the Gas Turbine would be likewise, even if the motor sound is singular. Most DCC/sound locos have advice to wait for the motor sounds to drop back from start-up to idle before attempting to move off, probably to help with the increased current draw that all sound decoders require to get the sound going. I have a Kato SD80MAC with ESU Loksound that is programmed not to move till the start sequence is finished.

current draw is the only issue, I am thinking about BEMF on 2 motors if this might confuse the decoder. Not much but you can turn off BEMF. For an 0-4-4-0, I dont see any prob in current draw. for my triplex however, 3 decoders, with sound on 2.

current draw is the only issue, I am thinking about BEMF on 2 motors if this might confuse the decoder. Not much but you can turn off BEMF. For an 0-4-4-0, I dont see any prob in current draw. for my triplex however, 3 decoders, with sound on 2.

The Genesis DD40AX has two motors and a single decoder.

The Genesis DD40AX has two motors and a single decoder.

Have to disagree there Terry, all the literature says Dual Tsunami's. Have seen one of the dual motored Bachman's with it's shell off and it only had 1, their Tsunami "sound value".

Back