Two killed when Lionel freight train plows through end-track office

ChinaHaun19

CCTV footage below shows violent, deadly crash.
On Saturday, two railroad employees and a pet pig of the office were killed when a train, which breaks had failed, crashed violently into the office which was located beyond the destined platform and turnoff to continue. The switch was not flipped to divert the train as it arrived early due to high speed.

building policy dictated that the office be built of strong steel walls however it was only designed to withstand impacts of up to 25 mph. As a result, the structure folded like an accordion on impact and all occupants were killed when the train crashed at 62 mph into the structure.

Not nearly as bad as when the Congressional Express ran away and crashed into the terminal in Washington, D.C., back in the '50's! IIRC, nobody was killed or even injured in the terminal as a tower operator saw the runaway and phoned to the station manager. Engine crashed through the floor of the terminal and wound up in the basement. A couple of days later, it had been removed and the floor replaced. Don't recall if many passengers were hurt. (See "A Treasury of Railroad Folklore" for the story.

Not nearly as bad as when the Congressional Express ran away and crashed into the terminal in Washington, D.C., back in the '50's! IIRC, nobody was killed or even injured in the terminal as a tower operator saw the runaway and phoned to the station manager. Engine crashed through the floor of the terminal and wound up in the basement. A couple of days later, it had been removed and the floor replaced. Don't recall if many passengers were hurt. (See "A Treasury of Railroad Folklore" for the story.
Wow thanks !

The Congressional Limited story can be found in the book "A Treasury of Railroad Folklore". I don't have mine in front of me, but I recall there was something about the positioning of angle cocks. Regardless, the train had no breaks! :eek:

Maybe, they should inspect their brakes more often!
If I recall correctly the Boston - New Haven crew reported an ineffective braking effort enroute, and the train was inspected by mechanical forces who found a partially closed angle cock within the first five cars, and restored same to proper position. The New Crew had no problem, New haven to New York Penn. The third crew, New York to Washington made at least five station stops, after the brake test and running test at New York, including road tests and running tests at Philadelphia after a sleeper set out, and a road test, after a sleeper was dropped in Baltimore. The crew was disciplined after the accident due to an alleged failure to perform a running brake test leaving Baltimore, which may or may not of had anything to do with the Washington incident. The speculation is that the angle cock may have closed due to vibration after the departure from Baltimore. Subsequent to this accident, all angle cocks on New Haven 8600 series PS Coaches were changed or modified....Baltimore was the last stop before Washington.

Back