Turntable & Roundhouse diorama

This particular roundhouse was made for a 130 ft turntable so I have to get one of those now. I really don’t feel like spending 300 dollars.
Well would the round house just house a certain length of engine where as the turntable would also only handle a certain length of engine?

It’s the radius of the turntable and the angle the rails were placed in the roundhouse. The rails on the 90 ft turntable will not match up with the rails from the roundhouse.

Last edited:
Glued walls in place
F57863A2-1915-4DEE-9F9B-F22A6991D8D6.jpeg
DF2A5483-E880-48B7-8175-BF4B38ECBBE2.jpeg
49CF5A48-A9D3-4DC2-BE82-FEB10E520579.jpeg
ECB6D165-DB84-4025-A83F-F16A986C4631.jpeg

This is what mine looks like , very dirty pit bottom.
Question.... if you are modelling the 1950's, I assume it would not be so grassy/muddy...just dirty...that seems more like pits that I saw growing up in the 70's/80's...just wondering and trying not to assume...

Question.... if you are modelling the 1950's, I assume it would not be so grassy/muddy...just dirty...that seems more like pits that I saw growing up in the 70's/80's...just wondering and trying not to assume...

On this point, I will tentatively disagree (but it's not a contest), if only because it takes only one season for the mud-to-hit-the-fan, so to speak. And for the weeds to grow.

On this point I want to offer particular kudos as to this pit bottom. First: That you, RE#1, have both mud and soil at all. Bravo! I have this thing--a pet peeve you might call it--about "grain size,*" and particularly so modeling in N-scale myself. Ballast, for instance...if the ballast grains stand up so much so that you can see airspace underneath them, it's a dead giveaway that it's a model. But just adding a layer of soil in between those grains can really take the modeling to a whole new level, regardless of scale. The soil drops down in between the chunks of ballast (as it would if real), and it becomes much more difficult to tell, regardless of scale.

[* They usually do too, because N-scale in particular is so small and the grains of crushed rock are, therefore, so light in weight. Call me not a rivet counter but more of a dirt counter, I guess. Have pity, please. I'm trying to find a hobby that might correct this...problem]

Second: Your soil itself and the dried up cracks. Just brilliant stuff.

Last edited:
On this point, I will tentatively disagree (but it's not a contest), if only because it takes only one season for the mud-to-hit-the-fan, so to speak. And for the weeds to grow.

On this point I want to offer particular kudos as to this pit bottom. First: That you, RE#1, have both mud and soil at all. Bravo! I have this thing--a pet peeve you might call it--about "grain size,*" and particularly so modeling in N-scale myself. Ballast, for instance...if the ballast grains stand up so much so that you can see airspace underneath them, it's a dead giveaway that it's a model. But just adding a layer of soil in between those grains can really take the modeling to a whole new level, regardless of scale. The soil drops down in between the chunks of ballast (as it would if real), and it becomes much more difficult to tell, regardless of scale.

[* They usually do too, because N-scale in particular is so small and the grains of crushed rock are, therefore, so light in weight. Call me not a rivet counter but more of a dirt counter, I guess. Have pity, please. I'm trying to find a hobby that might correct this...problem]

Second: Your soil itself and the dried up cracks. Just brilliant stuff.
Thanks for your perspective. It was a true question, so nothing to disagree with :) ..not trying to throw shade or anything. I never got to see a turntable when "new" (although my dad did build me a figure 8 layout, he wasn't a big "train guy," so do not know if they actively tried to keep the pit "clean" or not.) Again, just wondering. His work is brilliant, I concur... I guess I can search for images...

Brian

Last edited:

Back