Turkey Day Weekend Photo Fun

grande man said:
Gee, I'd like to own a decent camera!

I hear that. When I saw Ken's camera when he photographed my club layout, I got an extreme case of camera envy.

Right now I'm using a 1.3 MP. IT has an auto-focus so I constantly have to do things to fool it to get the focus where I want it. I'd also like control of the f-stops. It's only saving grace, at least for this hobby, is that it has some macro capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceMouse said:
I hear that. When I saw Ken's camera when he photographed my club layout, I got an extreme case of camera envy.

Right now I'm using a 1.3 MP. IT has an auto-focus so I constantly have to do things to fool it to get the focus where I want it. I'd also like control of the f-stops. It's only saving grace, at least for this hobby, is that it has some macro capabilities.

I feel your pain. The point and shoot cameras are really lack depth of field. I want a Canon Digital Rebel XT, but just can't justify the $$$ right now. I look at the pics guys like Railphotog, Shamus and Joe, take and want to take similar quality shots. I've got two friends (one a pro photographer) that could teach me how to use advanced equipment. I just need to spend the money.

Since I am moving the 4x8 to it's final resting place to be the end of a penninsula of the larger layout, I had a chance to take down the lighting valance and take some overall's.

overall_1105.jpg

overall_1105a.jpg

Chronicling "what I did" at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/4x8/

Harold

SpaceMouse said:
When I saw Ken's camera when he photographed my club layout, I got an extreme case of camera envy.

Right now I'm using a 1.3 MP. IT has an auto-focus so I constantly have to do things to fool it to get the focus where I want it...
Chip,
I never could figure out how to get the kind of results you're able to get with a 1.3MP - that's a talent to be envied!

My Tunnel Photo Submission

Guys/gals,

Here's my humble contribution to the November contest. Since I don't yet have any 'permanent' tunnels on my pike, and was unable to find the portal from my layout at the old homestead, I had to improvise.

What I wound up doing was, taking an old 8x11 sheet of shirt-packing cardboard, bending it over a broom handle at strategic points, and focusing my camera lens thru it. It's supposed to be a single track running thru what was once a double-track mainline tunnel, where the track that had once laid toward the right has been ripped out, leaving only ballast and weeds.

Image #1 shows the final result of my efforts; image #2, the "reality":

Wow! we certainly have some talent amongst us. That's a great shot and another ingenious idea, nice work Ken and thanks for posting it.

13.gif
Willis

Well I guess this is the weekend so here's one from me, did it while I was doing the tunnel shot.

Tunnel-8.png

13.gif
Willis

changed photo host Rail Images seems to be quite slow for some reason.

Willis:

That's a great one - looking good!

Here's a contribution from my end, a Campbell section house kit I made a long time ago and have installed on my first pair of HO scale modules:

SectionHouse.png

Ken thats a great tunnel shot, i tried to get the camera in my tunnel but it would not fit.
Bobthat building under construction shots great
Chip its always good to see some humor, great picture
great pictures everyone

Thank's Chris,
That's a great one - looking good!
Thanks Bob, from you I consider that praise indeed. My pictures certainly have improved when compared to the earlier photos I've posted on these forums. The credit for this goes to you and other photographers who have posted advice and tips here on the forums to help us inexperienced members to do better with our photography. LOL for that shot I believe I also owe a lot of thanks to the craftsmen for the suggestions and advice that made that scene possible.
Now back to the section house :D how did you ever get that building together without breaking a few of those studs? It's very neat and impressive and it's excellent work. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do something like that.
BTW we now have our motorhome so perhaps I'll get to see it at next years shows.

CBCNSfan said:
...BTW we now have our motorhome...
Cool! How about a pic of that? We have a 30' Dutchman Class C....wish we had more time to use it. We've met several couples who RV full-time...they sell their house, buy a 'bus,' and travel the country. What'da'ya think Willis...the next layout gonna be built in a nice enclosed trailer? :rolleyes: :D

Well, I suppose this can pass as my weekend photo "fun" :( (check my store). I'm honestly sick of looking at the computer, so I'll catch you guys later...

Hi Nate, well I haven't taken an actual photo of it yet, but it's identical to this one. No we won't be selling the house, or building a layout in the RV, it's well just too confining, ok for a week or two but then we want the comforts of home. Yeah I know what you mean about the computer, I think it's getting time to visit the train room more often
13.gif
Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Hi Nate, well I haven't taken an actual photo of it yet, but it's identical to this one. No we won't be selling the house, or building a layout in the RV, it's well just too confining, ok for a week or two but then we want the comforts of home. Yeah I know what you mean about the computer, I think it's getting time to visit the train room more often
13.gif
Willis
Ours is along the same line, but we needed the extra bed "up top" so all four of us could have a place to sleep.

Here it is at the top of Maine's Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. Both pics were taken from the same place...I love zoom :)

Back