Tunnels and Swamps?

KB02

Has anyone ever modeled the inside of a tunnel? I'm not talking about what you can see through a portal, but actually cutting a window into the "mountain" so you see the tunnel interior.

Also, what tips are out there for modeling swamp?

Thanks

It seems like you are talking about two different things here. I understand "modeling the interior of a tunnel" to mean apply ballast to the tracks and making the walls of the tunnel black as you would find in a real tunnel with no light leaking in from the exterior.
Since I bought a small POV camera that can ride on a flat car on my HO scale empire, I ran it through the tunnels on the railroad and was surprised how terrible it looked and really departed from the scenery I was developing on the visible part of the layout.
I have access to the interior of the tunnel as it is over 7' tall and about 20' from end to end. I bought several sheets of black card stock and but them up to form walls along the track and then a cover that could be easily lifted off the walls to retrieve trains or do track work.
The attached video shows and early look at the tunnel with the first effort of card stock. I could still see light leaking in, so I refined it even more before completing the construction of the mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1OOSPCyLKY

I have seen some photos in model railroad magazines where hidden tracks were showing through a facia and the inside of the tunnel was shown for about a three to four foot length. In another article, an urban scene had a subway station showing under a passenger terminal. That one was cool. The modeler had a simple loop and a subway train would appear from time to time.

FNR Swamp train 3.jpg

I've modeled a swamp section on my HO scale modules. Cut a depression in the plywood base and added plywood underneath the hole. Laid the track and poured in Envirotex Lite up to the level of the rail. A tricky proposition, as the Envirotex is fairly thick and flows slowly, I didn't want it to go over the rails. More or less it, added foliage around the swamp, an abandoned truck, etc.

Has anyone ever modeled the inside of a tunnel? I'm not talking about what you can see through a portal, but actually cutting a window into the "mountain" so you see the tunnel interior.
Not me, but a couple of friends had done so on their modulars that we hook together. On is a serious tunnel interior with workers inspecting the ventiliation system ducts. The other has a dwarven mine inside. Both are big hits at the shows we have shown at.

Not me, but a couple of friends had done so on their modulars that we hook together. On is a serious tunnel interior with workers inspecting the ventiliation system ducts. The other has a dwarven mine inside. Both are big hits at the shows we have shown at.

Any chance of posting a couple of pictures?

The module group I'm a member with has a module a member built that has a tunnel on the outside edge of the module you can see. It's more of an under building tunnel than mountain tunnel but looks great running through it. I'm not sure I have photos but I can look.

Dave

Back