Tunnel Liners

yrusoslo

Hello, At our new club HO layout, we will have about 45 ft. of tunnels. Any ideas on what to use as a tunnel liner?. There will be a camera car, going around the layout during public hours. I would like the tunnels to have brick or stone paper liners. Is there a web-site were I can get this info.Thanks, Joe

I believe Faller or Notch make sheets of thin foam that have a rock or brick work pattern on them. I've used them before on projects, not tunnels, but they would make decent tunnel liners. Once you are in beyond the tunnel portal, out of normal line of sight, you could probably get by just using a suitable pattern printed on paper as a tunnel liner since it will only be seen by the camera in poor light.

Unless I'm completely wet, I think most tunnels had blasted rock surfaces on the inside of the tunnels.

Hello, At our new club HO layout, we will have about 45 ft. of tunnels. Any ideas on what to use as a tunnel liner?. There will be a camera car, going around the layout during public hours. I would like the tunnels to have brick or stone paper liners. Is there a web-site were I can get this info.Thanks, Joe

Ive taken aluminum foil, crumpled it some, painted it black, dark gray etc, and attached it to roadbed supports with staples, to make a quick down and dirty
liner. I would join several pieces together with tape prior to painting to allow it to go around curves.

Is that patterned foam product rigid or bendable? Could one sheet be used to create an arch over the train?
It is quite soft and pliable, it should not be a problem for an HO tunnel. Still, if you are doing 45' of tunnels is may be somewhat cost prohibitive to do entire tunnel lengths.

If you club layout is modelling a North American railroad, then it would look pretty fake to have the inside of the tunnel lined with brick. Most of it is just blasted rock except for about half the tunnel portals which are brick or concrete...

Back