TT Scale

Star1pup

I'm sure showing my age, but does anyone remember TT? It just never caught on, but I thought it was almost a perfect scale. Smaller than HO but larger than N. It was easy to figure scale size since an 80' item was 8" and 40' was 4". Sure was easy and allowed a lot in a smaller space.

From my early years in model railroading, I too, remember TT scale. I don't know why it never really did well here in the U.S., but as I understand it, it is popular in eastern Europe. I agree with Star1pup that it would be a nearly perfect scale for many modelers due to the reasons mentioned. I model in HO, and I find that things are just a little too big to fit into some of the spaces I'd like them to fit. If TT were more popular and had more available for it, I'd probably have gone that route instead of HO. Since I now have a sizable investment in HO scale equipment, I don't think I'll ever change.

-Joe

I had heard of TT scale but didn't even know what it was. It sounds like a possible perfect scale for many of us. To bad it didn't catch on. :(

I started to switch to TT back in the early 60s, but then went back to HO as there was less and less available in TT. Did this by swapping and ended up on the short end. Maybe that's why I started with the rubber powered model airplanes.:D

When I began a layout in the mid-70s I tried N, but had a hard time getting it to run smoothly so I bought some HO and had a partially finished 12x12 layout. Had to tear it down to make room for my business and now need to locate a smaller place for a layout. TT would be great, but it's extinct. Oh well, I'll get it done someday.

Most of my Russian friends are modelling TT scale. I always thought it was another name for HO... I guess HO is third then, behind N scale. That's is weird.

Star1pup said:
I started to switch to TT back in the early 60s, but then went back to HO as there was less and less available in TT. Did this by swapping and ended up on the short end. Maybe that's why I started with the rubber powered model airplanes.:D

When I began a layout in the mid-70s I tried N, but had a hard time getting it to run smoothly so I bought some HO and had a partially finished 12x12 layout. Had to tear it down to make room for my business and now need to locate a smaller place for a layout. TT would be great, but it's extinct. Oh well, I'll get it done someday.

Maybe with less space available, it's time for you to look into N scale again. The improvements over the last 30 years are nothing short of remarkable! Much better running equipment, more detail on locos and railcars, more product availability. Just so much more than there has been before. It's worth a look, especially when your space is limited.

Darrell, quiet...for now

Back