Trying to help a friend, info please

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I've got a friend who lives in a loft downtown. He's interested in a G scale train to run around the walls at ceiling height. His loft is done in a cool industrial look. I'd love to have some suggestions as to what brand G scale locos and rolling stock would be preferred. What would be the best train control? Which brand track is best? I'm guessing as to the track run, but I'd say 50x75 feet. As I'm a G scale newbie, any help will be apprieciated!

Here's a quick-and-dirty answer until later when I have a bit more time to think about this: Suggest that your friend pick up a copy of "Garden Railways" magazine. There's lots of information there, especially in the ads. There's always at least one ad for a wall-mounted layout. Another resource is the Garden Railways section at Trains.com.

I love watching kinetic art of the railroad variety! Our local Ruby's Diner has a layout running overhead --- it's my favorite lunch spot. :) Track power should work fine in that situation.

Trainworld in NY have some bargains at times, i looked at some aristo-craft track and it looked very good, the USA brand of rolling stock also looks very good and is pretty cheap to buy compared to other makes, not a clue how they run though. a friend has some Bachmann G scale stuff but i don't like it, the track went rusty as it was pressed tin and the rolling stock was a bit cheap and nasty, personally i'd go with LGB, just because it's easy to get over here in the UK.

Thanks ya'll. I'll steer him clear of Bachman and get a copy of Garden Railways magazine.

LRF, There's an old fashoined hamburger joint close by that has a train running around the ceiling. I mentioned to my friend this morning that we need to go for lunch and check it out. We'll probably get over there next week.

Back