Truth or Urban Legend?

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
I've just heard something that I'm trying to confirm. Is there anyone who can confirm or deny to the truth or rumor that sometime back, I believe it was a freight train, was winding down around the Delaware Water Gap and went around a curve to fast and it lost the locomotives into the Delaware River?
Someone stated that it was two engines and possible one freight car one in and are still there to this day.
They also made mention that you can dive the area and see the locomotives resting at the bottom.

Truth or Urban Legend?

Scott

There are still locations were wrecks have been left to lie.
But I haven't heard of the DWG wreck, so can't say. But the rumors are at most major water locations, of a steamer with a car or two at the bottom.

I've heard a similar story about a steam loco and some hoppers in my area. They are said to have derailed heading onto the bridge across the Susquehanna at Sunbury. I've heard some say that the wreckage was left there and others say they pulled the loco out, but I can't say for sure either way. This being the Reading line, the tracks and bridge are long gone, but it certainly sounds plausible, as the line did make a pretty good turn onto the bridge right at the edge of the river...

Hmmm....my son and I just got certified as Divers here in FL this past month through his Boyscout Troop 64. We are also members of the Reef-rakers club too. Sounds like this will make for interesting vacations. We are both certified to 100 foot of water. I will go to the next level later this summer. Most of our dives are between 30 and 60 feet. It is very relaxing and fun. Always think safety and lookout for others in this hobby. The Scuba Diving has gotten so advanced in technology now it is amazing. We have transponders with GPS (on our tanks) and radios on our equipment (BCD vest). Expensive but worth it. We took the class that was 2 months long and met 2 to 3 times a week then we started diving on our 4th week in open water. We started out in a shallow pool to get use to equipment, then on to a 15 ft deep pool then to a closed lake (meaning no motor boats) then after all that we were in the Gulf waters. It is a neat experience I must say.

Hey Alco we have lots of Early wrecks here in Lake Ontario . But it is deep and cold diving here !

Yeah I know how cold that is. I used to live in WI and fished Lake Michigan etc...well I dont have a thermal wet suit yet but do have a wet suit and have used it in some dives. The water gets warm here in the summer so...

I've heard a similar story about a steam loco and some hoppers in my area. They are said to have derailed heading onto the bridge across the Susquehanna at Sunbury. I've heard some say that the wreckage was left there and others say they pulled the loco out, but I can't say for sure either way. This being the Reading line, the tracks and bridge are long gone, but it certainly sounds plausible, as the line did make a pretty good turn onto the bridge right at the edge of the river...

Sounds like an interesting research project!

Scott

Hmmm....my son and I just got certified as Divers here in FL this past month through his Boyscout Troop 64. We are also members of the Reef-rakers club too. Sounds like this will make for interesting vacations. We are both certified to 100 foot of water. I will go to the next level later this summer. Most of our dives are between 30 and 60 feet. It is very relaxing and fun. Always think safety and lookout for others in this hobby. The Scuba Diving has gotten so advanced in technology now it is amazing. We have transponders with GPS (on our tanks) and radios on our equipment (BCD vest). Expensive but worth it. We took the class that was 2 months long and met 2 to 3 times a week then we started diving on our 4th week in open water. We started out in a shallow pool to get use to equipment, then on to a 15 ft deep pool then to a closed lake (meaning no motor boats) then after all that we were in the Gulf waters. It is a neat experience I must say.

It does sound like fun, if I should ever find the time, I'd love to learn myself!

Scott

Back