True Line Trains (Hobbycraft Canada)

MLW

I just got a True Line Trains (Canada) Covered Hopper and I decided to do a brief non-scientific description.
TL%2Dlarge.jpg

This is the second release that I’m aware of, from this new Canadian company.

From their website:

True Line Trains on track!
Tuesday, Aug 15 2006

Coming soon to stores are the new TRUE LINE TRAINS line of model trains. These trains boas the most accurate detail of any plastic trains on the market and are manufactured specifically for the Canadian Market. Coming soon are: True Line Trains 5-axle C-Liner, Gondolas, Hopper Cars, Cabooses and more! Check your local hobby shop for more information!

http://www.hobbycraft.com/home.php
http://www.hobbycraft.com/articles.php?article_category_string=new+releases

The model represent is a 1986 rebuilt covered hopper leased by ACFX to Sask. Minerals. All the marking are sharp and easily readable under magnification:
TL2%2Dlarge.jpg

Next is a comparison between the A ends of the TLT and Athearn ACF Centerflow that I’ve bought recently. The finer details (brake wheels, chain etc..) goes to TLT. Also the TLT model does not show gaps like the Athearn car, and the steps & grabs are slightly better then Athearn:
TL3%2Dlarge.jpg

The B ends shows the same gap in the Athearn model. Again the grabs are slightly better in the TLT. You will notice the TLT coupler box is the “atlas” type; 2 part box-like bolster with a screw. The Athearn is the “clip” type. I prefer the former:
TL4%2Dlarge.jpg

The roof walks are marginally better on the TLT and the ladder is also slightly better:
TL5%2Dlarge.jpg

Last are the trucks. To an amateur like me they look, oddly enough, like Atlas trucks. Probably made at the same factory in China. The wheel set is better and the details of the truck are ,again , slightly better:
TL6%2Dlarge.jpg

In my humble opinion I find TLT the better car. What give it the edge is the price ($3.00 -$5.00 cheaper), better trucks and wheel sets, and better (although -slightly better-) details. The trucks remind me of the atlas trainman series and the details are almost on the same level, but compare to the 2 trainmain car I own I would give the TLT the edge. Overall this is a winner for me and I can’t wait to see their next release. In the meantime this car will be lightly weather to match the rest of the Covered hopper fleet.

That is the kind of stuff wanted for Bob's proposed product review section, nice work and a nice model

You know why the TLT trucks look like Atlas trucks? They are. TLT is Atlas Train Man cars in Canadian paint schemes. (or so my LHS tells me)

That is the kind of stuff wanted for Bob's proposed product review section, nice work and a nice model

This thread is what inspired me to ask the question. I've had that idea for a long time, but we need a core group of folks who'll post reviews to make it work. Looks like we might finally have enough people to make a go of it. If you're interested in helping out, please post a response in the review section thread.

This type of review is exactly what I'd be looking for, very nicely done.

CP9302 posted: You know why the TLT trucks look like Atlas trucks? They are. TLT is Atlas Train Man cars in Canadian paint schemes. (or so my LHS tells me)

In this case you are exactly right. It is a Trainman series car. But the previous offering wasn't (Open Hopper)

From the Horses Mouth:
Rob Pissani Atlas:
This actually is our Trainman ACF 3560 Center Flow. True Line Trains commissioned a special run of this road name (prototypically accurate for Sask. Minerals). Additional special run items should be forthcoming.

Next TLT car coming out is...a caboose
303001.jpg

HO Scale, Canadian National Caboose
Description : The finest replica of a Canadian National Caboose ever manufactured in HO Scale. Featuring Delrin steps, metal hand rails, removable marker lights, Dofasco wheels, accurate detail throughout and more!
Please note that we have heard that there are other images of this caboose out there, do not be fooled, they are not the TLT version. The pictures listed here are the ONLY decorated photos in existence at this time.
Price : CAD$45.00

Assembled and decorated test shot .Painted and detailed by John Morris
Temporary lettering and monogram, productions unit will be printed.
303001a.jpg

303001b.jpg

303001c.jpg

http://www.hobbycraft.com/product.php?id=7814

Back