Trucks for rolling stock

eddie

I'd appreciate recommendations on trucks - are trucks with roller bearings better? Metal vs plastic wheels? Thanks

I prefer plastic trucks, Accurail & Athearn mostly. Plastic trucks, metal wheels on metal axles...

I prefer plastic trucks, Accurail & Athearn mostly. Plastic trucks, metal wheels on metal axles...

I have ZERO experience with all metal trucks and I only have one piece of Accurail rolling stock with plastic trucks and wheels, wheels will be replaced soon. I really like the plastic Athearn and Atlas trucks with metal wheels too, seem to work out really well so far.

I use whatever trucks come with the model and put in proto 33" wheels. If its an older style model with friction bearing trucks and I want to "modernize" it i'll upgrade to roller bearing trucks. I still dont know what models i'de use 36" wheels on, does anyone know? which freight/passenger cars?

I use whatever trucks come with the model and put in proto 33" wheels. If its an older style model with friction bearing trucks and I want to "modernize" it i'll upgrade to roller bearing trucks. I still dont know what models i'de use 36" wheels on, does anyone know? which freight/passenger cars?

NYSW;

36" wheels should be used on passenger equip. and any car that could carry more that 80 tons, that is most modern cars.

I may be a little off on that 80 tons, but generally if you model the modern era, most cars would need 36" wheels. The excess height cars may need wheels as small as 28".

As to whats the best truck?:D Why Central Valleys of course!:D

greaaat. I've gone thru about 3 packs of 33" wheels so far. Now i'll need 36" for the passenger cars, ughhh. Atleast I have a reason to goto the hobby store tomorrow. hehehe *cough*order nysw sd40t-2 #3016 *cough*

now that i think about it. I had bought a pack of atlas trucks that had 36" wheels. I know they didn't work on my walthers jordan spreader or russell snow plow. The trucks wouldn't turn at all with the center beam of the underbody. So I may be good. Most of the newer rolling stock i've bought i haven't changed those wheels. Those probably came with 36" rigiht?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back