Trouble shooting 2 Cab wiring issue

I have a question You replaced that first selector that controls blocks 1-4 It looks like it is connected to the rest of the selectors 5-13 So can you just isolate that one selector for 1-4 nothing else connected and see if it still behaves like that It could be one of the other ones with an internal short Don't have any power from powerpacks A & B feeding anything else and just to be sure disconnect the common from C2 on the controller
I see your using block 9 Just use 1-4 nothing else
Thank you - will give that a try and report back

I have a question You replaced that first selector that controls blocks 1-4 It looks like it is connected to the rest of the selectors 5-13 So can you just isolate that one selector for 1-4 nothing else connected and see if it still behaves like that It could be one of the other ones with an internal short Don't have any power from powerpacks A & B feeding anything else and just to be sure disconnect the common from C2 on the controller
I see your using block 9 Just use 1-4 nothing else
exactly what I was thinking. Isolate the power to just one selector at a time and work through them. Try to find if there is one causing the issue. Will watch the video and comment when I am done working today.

Ok watched the video and it gave me some ideas. I drew the wiring and can understand how the two direction switches on the controllers can effect each other. The catch is that "scenario" is only valid when there are two locomotives on the track. As soon as you took off the 2nd locomotive it blew my whole theory. But just in case it helps. In that scenario the issue would be a missing ground wire. I showed how in the diagram below. Blue are the wires and red is the electricity flow. I left out the selector switches and throttle to remove confusion factors. Ignore the etc, I was going to stop the electricity there but changed my mind and drew it on through. You can see when the power switches are aligned the power from the one pack can pass through the diodes of the other. When they are not set the same the diodes of the 2nd power pack blocks the power.

Perhaps only one of the power supplies is grounded to the track and the other isn't?

20220926_210559[1].jpg

Last edited:
My problem with that is there is no Ground in a dc circuit There should not be a ground tied to either side of a DC output You have positive or negative and reverse them for direction control

One of his selectors is bad with common rail wiring One side from each throttle is tied together That bad selector is connecting the other outputs together
I'll be back later it's 3 am

My problem with that is there is no Ground in a dc circuit There should not be a ground tied to either side of a DC output You have positive or negative and reverse them for direction control
Call it ground or common or bus or whatever you want. The point was that this demonstrates how the direction switch in the powered off controller can effect the other, and is a big clue as to what the real problem is.

OK just one comment you say no connection on that common or ground ( i don't like using ground cause it says to me earth ground and it's not )
So if no connection then how does either engine even move they need pos and neg and they do in his video He has some major wires crossed or a bad selector one of the slides shorted out If he were closer I would go there and pretty sure could fix it

So Not Going to comment further until such time the OP responds We have no clue as to what needs to be fixed

Back