Trivia pic

Well im not going to be killjoy and end it on the first page unless i get permission, im 99% sure of what it is, but im wishing for permission from someone before i give it up :cool:

i can only thing of three things it could be option one a brake control unit for in the yard. option two a romotly located scale computer with transmition capabilities. or option three the recieve unit for a vibrations sensor for triggering a railroad crossing or sensing for damaged wheel sets

i did some research and i eventually figured it out

Last edited by a moderator:
i think with the new pic i can safely say i am wrong the research i did said it was a grease applicator but i dont see the rail mount applicators so i have no idea

All good guesses. Someone had it but second guessed themselves if you know what I mean ;) Another pic tonight if I remember.

Looks like a flange greaser to me. The inner rail in the foreground is blackened with the stuff vs. the track in the background which looks like the normal rusty colour. Plus the drop cloth kind of gives it away (even the railways are getting more environmental these days).

Haha, you finally got it!!!! I will put a few more pictures of this one up when I get home from work, if I aint too tired. I honestly would not have known what this was either until I got a track chart for the NS Illinois Division. I was following the line from St. Louis to Princeton (SP?), In when I saw it about 6 miles from where I grew up. Just had to do a little hiking a there she was.

Back