Trip to NYC and Washington, november 2017. Need some tips

mikeknuckey

Far away in Chile...
Hello friends, next november my wife and I, will cross half the globe and for second time we will visit USA. Last time it was for christmas 2014 and we have visited some fantastic places you had recomended to us (B&O museum on dec 30 2014).
This time we'll be from 11 to 16 on NY, 16 to 22 on Washington and from 22 to 26 back at NY.
I made reservations at the very same hotels of our last trip (NYMA in NY which is two blocks away from Penn Station, and Hyatt at Capitol Hill in Washington, two blocks away from Union Station).

Now I want to ask for some help or tips, for example;
We will travel between cities by amtrak, are there any chance to know which platform will be asigned to our trains previous of departure time? I would love to make photos on platforms.
Are there any prohibition to do that?

I will visit (again) the Red Caboose hobby shop (quite an experience...), any other shop option near manhattan or washington?

Well friends, I would like to thanks for your time!
Regards from Chile
Miguel Knuckey

Miguel,

First, there is no prohibition to taking photographs in any public place. Train World is in Brooklyn, about 5 miles south of the World Trade Center in Manhattan. Brooklyn is also home to the New York Transit Museum. The Museum is close to the Bergen Street stop on the "F" or "G" train . Train World is right between the Church Ave and Ditmas Ave stops on the "F" train.

Thanks Kevin, we are planning to return to brooklyn to assist to the flea market, so it would be easy to get to trainworld. Regards

Tracks are not announced at Penn Station until generally 10 minutes prior to departure. Regarding photos in Penn Station, it all depends on the day, and the officers on duty, but is generally not against the law.

Tracks are not announced at Penn Station until generally 10 minutes prior to departure. Regarding photos in Penn Station, it all depends on the day, and the officers on duty, but is generally not against the law.
OTOH, its entirely possible that the authorities or a citizen could become alarmed at seeing someone taking extensive and detailed photos of the facilities and layout. It's still a post-9/11 world, and you're talking New York, so I'd advise caution and discretion.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

OTOH, its entirely possible that the authorities or a citizen could become alarmed at seeing someone taking extensive and detailed photos of the facilities and layout. It's still a post-9/11 world, and you're talking New York, so I'd advise caution and discretion.

This is my concern, especially because I am not an american citizen (I look like one, but...), I'll take care to ask for an authorization in case there will be any police or amtrak employees at the platform.

Thanks for the advice.

Another Tip I need, not involved with trains, is about thanksgiving day. I understand its a day for "reunion", where people meet to have dinner. Do you have any advice about protocol for this celebration? We'll be at New York, and we plan to go out an dinner, but seems a bit hard to get a table this day.

Another Tip I need, not involved with trains, is about thanksgiving day. I understand its a day for "reunion", where people meet to have dinner. Do you have any advice about protocol for this celebration? We'll be at New York, and we plan to go out an dinner, but seems a bit hard to get a table this day.
Protocol? Traditionally, Thanksgiving is when you go to the home of some family member whom you can't stand, to have a huge dinner cooked by someone who doesn't know how, with a bunch of other family members who can't stand you. I suppose "protocol" would be satisfied if there's no bloodshed.

If, however, you're going to a restaurant, remember that the food will be cooked and served by people who would rather be home, fighting with their relatives. Just imagine eating food cooked by someone who thinks that giving you a happy holiday is less attractive than punching Cousin Tim in the mouth.

My suggestion is to do some grocery shopping the day before, and fix something in your hotel room. If you want a hot meal, it's possible to cook steaks on the engine block of your car.

Hope this helps.
38b976c2d114025cb57c81aaad97b5bb.jpg

Mike,

Please understand that Beady is something of a comic and a bit of a teaser. Thanksgiving is a day when families gather to "give thanks" for a bountiful year, celebrated by over eating. Try finding a table at one of the lesser known restaurants. It may be best to contact the concierge at the hotel you will be staying at and see if they can get a table reservation for you.

We will travel between cities by amtrak, are there any chance to know which platform will be asigned to our trains previous of departure time? I would love to make photos on platforms.
Are there any prohibition to do that?

As said, the tracks aren't announced until the train is actually pulling in. It isn't against the law to take photos (at all), so honestly feel free to snap a few. As also said, though, if you look like you're trying to take photos of EVERYTHING, then people may indeed get suspicious that you have bad motives. You won't go to jail, but you will definitely miss your train while you talk to the police, possibly even be taken to the police station for a while. And honestly, there's really not much to see on the station platforms.

Speaking of missing the train, once the track is announced the train generally leaves within about 10 minutes. So whether people think you are suspicious or not, you will miss your train if you stand around too long taking pictures. Also, be prepared that if you're visiting on Thanksgiving weekend, Penn Station (which is crazy on a good day), will likely be even more insane than usual. Be prepared for crowds and crowded trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, hows this: Beady is a disaster as a comic and a monster of a tease? :p

PS: and he frequently makes me smile!

Last edited by a moderator:
From Union Station you can travel to Lutherville-Timonium, MD on the MARC train (light rail) about 1.5 hours to a short walk 1/4 mile or so to MB Klein/ Model Train Stuff

Beady you need to come to my house for Thanksgiving, you will think you are in a Hallmark movie.

While in DC you might want to take that hour drive to Baltimore to see their train museum. One of the last 2 C&O H8 2-6-6-6's is there! Also for aircraft, Udvar-Hazy in Chantilly VA. See a shuttle,SR71 Blackbird, Enola Gay and even Lil' Butch a Clipped Wing Monocoupe.

Mike,

Please understand that Beady is something of a comic and a bit of a teaser. Thanksgiving is a day when families gather to "give thanks" for a bountiful year, celebrated by over eating. Try finding a table at one of the lesser known restaurants. It may be best to contact the concierge at the hotel you will be staying at and see if they can get a table reservation for you.

Dont worry I have laugh a lot when I read it, because somenthing inside me was telling me, that probably this is the truth behind (for many people) of this celebration
I'm trying to make a reservation from here... lets see if its works. Regards

While in DC you might want to take that hour drive to Baltimore to see their train museum. One of the last 2 C&O H8 2-6-6-6's is there! Also for aircraft, Udvar-Hazy in Chantilly VA. See a shuttle,SR71 Blackbird, Enola Gay and even Lil' Butch a Clipped Wing Monocoupe.

Thanks Y3a, In our last trip we visited both museums, B&O was awesome to me, my wife enjoy it too... till her freezes her ass and she spent an hour seated at the sun while I was amazed with the stories of a volunteer.
Baltimore was quite an adventure... when we were going back to train station we take the wrong direction light rail, and we went in to the opposite direction to station... a day we will never forget.
Steven Udzar museum was awesome too, we will back for sure to this, and I will make a ton more of photos, and I want to ride the simulators too. Regards

And talking about DC, are there any nice place for railfanning in the city? I would love to make some action photos of freight trains.

Back