Trinity Coal Hoppers, sugested locos? caboose? recycled Noob

Mogul2-6-0

Rookie Switchman
Hello All,

Newly returning old model railroader

Thought Id ask for suggestions this time before I buy another one of these expensive trains. LOL
I'm not locked into any specific era, location, industry, time of year, etc yet.
But: San Diego and Arizona Ry, 1920's era scenic, Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, Union Pacific (modern), Pennsylvania, Providence and Worcester. LOL
Still experimenting and researching.

I have lumber and coal industry buildings. Diesel fueling.

Ok anyway I'd like to get a 6 pack or Walthers Trinity UP coal hoppers, 2 Bachman DC UP GP40's and an Athern UP baywindow caboose.
I'm sorta modeling a train I saw with the kids like this in Arizona but it had closed hoppers.
Does this all make any sense to put these together?
(I want the Trinity's cuz my daughters name is Trinity.)
I think coal hoppers are more interesting too but not sure if the ever ran across So Cal and Arizona? I know the old San Diego line here used oil steamers instead of coal. (Baldwin consolidated SP)
They also ran gypsum salt, gravel, fruit, passengers. May look into these too. For my impossible imaginary railroad.
I believe Trinity still makes and leases hoppers, but not sure how long ago they were around.
I dont think the caboose would be used with coal hoppers but I like it. Is this crazy? do they still use cabeese?
Not sure of the build dates on GP40's either I think they were 80's 90's?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance

I'm still developing a customized EZ track left hand turnout with an FPGA microcontroller, embedded Micro C Linux RTOS and a micro pusle fusion reactor that generates a plasma field and micro rift in the space time continueum that alows me to move my trains between any railroad at any time I want, because its my railroad dang it. LOL

Richard F.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd see the coal hoppers moving to the Navajo power plant in northern Arizona. Almost no coal moves west into California because of environmental restrictions. If you want to keep it in Arizona, the UP won't work out. It was the Santa Fe then the BNSF that ran all the major rail lines in northern Arizona. The former SP in southern Arizona is now the UP but almost no coal moves over their lines.

The caboose was extinct by the time the Trinity hoppers came into use. I still like to see a caboose so I add it on to my trains regardless of what I'm running. The Athearn bay window caboose is not an accurate model of any UP caboose. Intermountain has a nice CA-4 class UP caboose for about $35. Might as well be accurate if we're not going to be prototypical. :)

I don't know if you have GP-40's or 40-2's. The first GP-40 was produced in 1965 and was replaced by the GP40-2 in 1972. The -2 was produced from 1972 until 1986. The main spotting differences are a water sight glass on the right rear and bolted rather than hinged battery boxes. Rebuilt GP-40-2's are still in use today although mainly with regional rather than major railroads.

Send me one of those turnouts when you get the bugs worked out. Sounds like a great idea to me. :D

Jim,

Awesome info! Thanks a bunch. I'm still researching. I'll check out the Intermountain CA-4 too, it looks nice.
I havent bought the GP40's yet, I like Bachmans GP40 price but Atherns GP40-2 details.
Yeh I'm tempted to go with some older SP locos. GP9
http://www.sdrm.org/roster/diesel/d-3873/index.html
Interesting history around here with AT&SF, SP and UP etc etc.

stlgevo51
Yeh was tempted by Dash 8 40C but it might not run well on the inner 18" radius, plus expensive.
What would correct loco be for hopper haulin?

Cheers,
Richard

Welcome from a fellow San Diegan!

As for UP an the Sunset route, last time I was out there I watched a unit train of coal porters headed east, so it does move there, contrary to what Jim says. However, its no where near the same as the Wyoming trains.

I'd say if you like it run it... However, if you want prototype fidelity, yes, GP40's can pull a train with a caboose, but trinity hoppers are a little new...

Josh, where is the on-line source of coal in southern California or Arizona that would load unit trains of coal headed east on the Sunset route through Arizona? I haven't been there in 20 years but I never saw any significant coal traffic on the Sunset route.

No clue Jim! Just noted that it was the first train I saw all day, and the only coal train.

Josh,

Thanks for the kind words. Go Chargers. ( Detroit Rock City...)
I can just hear you and Jim thinking away about this mysterious eastbound coal train in southern Arizona. LOL
Reminds me of the german prisonor of war from a U boat that tried to escape by boat down the dried up Gila river in Az. lol
Ive only seen closed hoppers out there so far, still doing research, till next payday.
Maybe it came down from Black Mesa headed for Area 51?
Fun researching it anyway.
Its alot more complicated than I thought.

Cheers,
Richard

Back