Tree size - ho scale

adamsdp

I am looking at purchasing trees for a 2' x 8' switching layout and received recommendations from Woodland Scenics that their premium and classic ready made trees are their most realistic. The trees I selected (fall scene) from these two lines range in size from 2.5" - 5" which in scale terms seem on the small size. From what I can tell from looking at pictures in Model Railroad magazine, the trees on most layouts are not scaled to size. I am thinking that full scale sized trees would be overpowering on most layout. Just wanted to check with the group before ordering. Thanks!

Most people would never do the math for to figure what size trees you have in HO size. I would go with what ever looks good and not worry about the scale height of any trees. Remember small trees grow into large tress, but the rule of thumb is to place the larger tress in the foreground to create the illusion of distance.

I would order just a few trees at first to get the feel of the materials you are planning to use. Woodland Scale makes some great trees as well as Grand Central Gems and others.

IMG_0374.JPG
The background is a variety of tree sizes that are grouped to represent a wooded hillside on my CM&N Railroad. The trees are a mixture of ready made trees and Scenic Express tress that I made for the layout. I never worried about tree scale or size, just what looked good when the scene was finished. To the far left is a hidden dry creek bed that extends into the layout and will be the location of a Hobo camp compete with a campfire.-Greg

If you don't like the ready made trees, you can always learn to make your own like these.
There are over 300 handmade trees of various heights on this layout.... so far.

Attachments

• 11.19.21 6.jpg
    11.19.21 6.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 106
Depends upon the species. For example: a mature White Oak is 50' to 80' tall (7" to 11" in HO scale) and a Spruce (depending upon on type) is 60' to 200' (8" to 28" in HO scale).
You might want to research the most common tree in your modeled area to get an idea of how tall they should be.

'

In the part of the world that I model, tree sizes of 30'-40' are the norm, so 4"-6" models fit in OK. That being said, I usually use smaller trees, especially in front of the track so as to not obscure the view of the trains. Also to reduce any possible interference to track/train maintenance. I think that this weighs in heavily in most layouts.

Thanks for the replies and helpful to put things in perspective. I went ahead and ordered the trees and think they will end up look good. Thanks!

Back