Tree Armatures & Fall Colors

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Hi Folks, really a two part post.
First is branches from a shrub call "Honeysuckle", I don't know much about it and the branches came off a half ton pickup (with permission). I havn't much experience with making trees but from photos on the forums, and advertising, these seem sort of fair to use for tree armatures. Has anyone used this plant to make trees? Well any opinions are welcome before I get into it too deep.

The second is Fall colors, photos taken from my front deck, was kind of a dismal day but they're not too bad. Would be better when the sun was out so I'll try again if it ever appears again. :D

13.gif
Willis

I like those little trimmings, Willis. They look like they'd be a great source for realistic tree armatures. And your trees, well, consider yourself lucky: our trees go from green to dead every year without all the beautiful colors you get to see.

Nice shots. Kinf of like the backcountry around here where I attempt to railfan. Lots of beautifull scnery with not much trains though...

They look like they'd be a great source for realistic tree armatures
O.M.G. Then a whole truck load has gone to composting. Guess I'll have to find out where the lady lives then help her with pruning the bushes. :D I thought they looked more interesting than some of the for sale samples I've seen on Yahoo forums. LOL next time I see a truck load I'll have her dump them in my yard.

Roman you should be able to get some glorious photos along the valley at Marshy Hope, I always liked that area in the Fall, especially when viewed from the old highway.

13.gif
Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Roman you should be able to get some glorious photos along the valley at Marshy Hope, I always liked that area in the Fall, especially when viewed from the old highway.

13.gif
Willis
Not sure where Marshy Hope is. I can reach this place by bike though. Sure makes sence for many modelers to model CBNS with such scenery.

Not sure where Marshy Hope is.
Between me and you only a lot closer to you on the 104. I believe that's where you were taking train pictures on the big grade.

13.gif
Willis

Willis, the ends of most any kind of flowering bush are prospect for a tree armature. Many of us in the Southeastern U.S. use a wild bush called Oakleaf Hydrangea.

The idea is to find a type that when the blossoms/leaves are trimmed off, it will have a tree shape. The more 'limbs' the better for holding your fine ground foam or what ever you use for leaves. Don't worry about irregular shapes. Most trees aren't perfect and you can always trim the branches to the shape your after.

Besides its perfect shape for a model tree, a plus for the Oakleaf Hydra. is that it has tiny seed pods on it that when dipped in White glue/water mix, holds the sprinkled ground foam in little clusters like you would find leaves on a real tree.

Grande man uses a variation of this by removing all the seed pods and covering the armature with the type of covering you pull over the limbs. I will let him comment on this, but he made some beautiful Aspen trees with this method.

Hi Rex and thanks for the info. Wintertime approaching in this part of the world an while I was covering the Air Conditioner I noticed some nice armatures could be made from the underbrush of the Juniper bushes. There is another weed that grows in the fields around here with seeds and looks tree like so I'll be gathering some of that also, should be an interesting Winter plus I'll learn a lot of things NOT to do :D
13.gif
Willis

Back