TRash TRain

conrail92

Ok a few weeks ago i was railfanning around the NS mainline in PA and twice i saw a Train with about 50 flatcars all with two containers on them. They werent dumpsters. They whre blue and alost looked like decapitated intermodal containers because the only thing that covered it was a tarp. and inside was trash you could smell the train coming and leaving. Well anyway to you know of any companys that might make and ho model of this? i was thinking adventualy makin a unit trash train just for fun on my layout.

Don't know of a company that makes them, but you probably saw a competitor to the EPIC trash haulers. We see them in Central Ohio all the time, heading for a landfill somewhere.

Kennedy

Currently no manufacturer makes a model of these trash containers. It should be noted that the trains are more than just containers; they ride on custom-designed flatcars (89' or 2 unit spine sets) specific to this application. In other words, you just can't use a standard TOFC flat and put containers on top.

I suspect one day a manufacturer will come out with a flatcar-container combo, but not anytime soon, and not until there is significant market demand.

AC Models USED to have an N scale trash container it memory serves me right, and I've seen someone's model of them in HO... Maybe its time to beg Athearn & Walthers and see if you can get them made.

In the northwest, they are run as double stacks on well cars. Containers range from the shorties to the longer 48'? contatiners. I would think you could bash these containers from an undecorated one. Cut out the top and use another material to represent the tarp. Shoot it with the appropriate color (blue, green, or grey for those around the Northwest) and decal.

AC Models USED to have an N scale trash container it memory serves me right, and I've seen someone's model of them in HO... Maybe its time to beg Athearn & Walthers and see if you can get them made.

begging always works if not ill do it the hard way and make my own. :(

Although not the contrainer version there was an article in RMC on building a Wasteliner car. Also one of the groups on Yahoo (PFM?) had a project going amongst the members. Scale Rail Graphics did decals.

Back