Transformer shock

Dameon

I've done enough of track wiring to know that the DC side of the our train transformers is relatively harmless, but tonight I got to thinking about the AC contacts that are usually used to hook our various accessories up to for power. What's the usual voltage/amps coming out of the AV side of a transformers and how badly could it shock you? I really don't ever want to accidentally find this out the hard way.

most transformers have an 18VAC output. They can give a mild tingling sensation and for most folks are mostly harmless. Most injuries actually come from a reactionary movement or jerk, whereupon the X-Acto knife you are holding gets firmly planted in your eye......

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, Ken, that's how most of my injuries occur. At 16-18 volts, and a total output of a big power pack around 25 VA, you'd really have to try to get a shock. Now, poking around inside a power pack hooked up to the mains is a different matter.

Agreed. If the circuit breaker is up to snuff, it reacts to heat, and the heat is generated when wattage/amperage course through the contacts. If too much is asked to pass through the breaker (by your wet tongue or sweaty forearm on the rails), the metal reed quickly heats and bends away from its contact, thus freeing you to jerk the blade into your eye.:D

Ah, but depending on where you get the shock matters, as does being wet or dry.
For instance touching with your dry hand may result in nothing more than a tingle, if that. But putting your head down to look at something and making contact with certain parts , the neck for example yields a bit more. And yes... that's when you jolt up and do some damage. Okay and you may make up some new words to boot!

Most injuries actually come from a reactionary movement or jerk, whereupon the X-Acto knife you are holding gets firmly planted in your eye......

ROFL!
thank you, you just made my morning a lot brighter :D

All right, thanks guys! I've had the experience of taking an extended shock from a poorly wired wall socket, which was standard household current. I did not desire to have a repeat of that experience. No, I don't play with live wires, but that doesn't rule out a possible future contact incident with those wires while working on something else.

This did give me another thought though. We have several various pets in our household, what if a cat got up under my layout in the benchwork and decided to have a nice chew on those wires?

110 volt in the wall, 18 if that on the rails. bit different

but as far as pets, if i was the cat in question, i'd make sure to chew on the wires only when the trains are not running.

Pets will occasionally do a test chew on wires but usually not more than once if the wires have power. :) There are some pets, especially cats, that are more hard headed than others. For them, you get some stuff called "Yuck" you can spray on the wires. The combination of that nasty tasting stuff and a little shock will usually make them find a new toy to play with.

With luck, they'll only do it once....

Typed on IH10 from the passnger seat of course. G3 is great!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back