Trains just stop running

Gary B

The Fox Valley Railroad
Hello everyone. Anyone here who has read my occasional postings will know that I am more Modeler than Model Railroader. That said, I've never had a great running railroad. Given the extra time I now have due to current conditions, I thought it would be good to invest some of it in getting the trains running better. I was fixing minor tracking issues and things were running better than ever. My set up is switchable between DC and DCC control. It was originally all blocked out but some changes have caused them not to be isolated any longer. Things were running well and then everything just stopped. DC, DCC did not matter. No matter my power source, neither power supply registered an overload or short. Power everything off, turn it back on and it runs for a few minutes then stops again. I've tried isolating blocks and that hasn't solved it. I realize it most be a power drain somewhere but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

You say it is switchable between DC and DCC. What is your switching device?
Is there anything else going on in your house while you're running trains, i.e. laundry running, wife goes to attic to check something and turns light on then off, garage door opens then closes, etc.?

Ken, I'm using a center off toggle, never remember what they're called.
Nothing else is going on or affected when this happens.

No one else, really. None of our resident experts are venturing a guess? Depending on which blocks I switch on and off, I get full voltage in some and very low power in others. I'm trying to figure out the pattern but no luck yet. I thinking maybe a grounding issue. Any ideas guys?

Yes, you should invest in a digital multimeter. They are cheap these days, and worth their weight in gold. Turn off the power, disconnect any throttles, and start checking for continuity and shorts. That allows you to move around and hopefully zero in on the fault(s). For this, one with a beeper is really handy.

Yup I agree with Mr. Diesel.
And test with the turnouts in different positions.
Also take all your locos off the rails, powered and non and any cars with metal wheels. Might be overkill but it certainly eliminates possibilities.

Well thanks guys, diesel's recommendation was exactly what I did. Ended up I was right, it was a bad ground. Ran a jumper to another track section and all systems are go.

Back