train speed on #6 turnout

Do you mean scale speed or prototype speed? A #6 switch on a real railroad would be considered quite sharp and trains would be restricted to yard imit speeds. A #6 switch on a model railroad is apparently larger because of the extra flexibility of our equipment so a scale 30-35 mph should be possible with four axle locomotives, going down to 25 mph for six axle locomotives or cars over 70' long. If you're planning a crossover and want to run at normal mainline speeds, you really need a minimum of a #8 switch.

I think that Jim is right. I use handlaid #8's for my mains, but I am also using big steam and long heavyweight passenger cars. They would move well through #6 turnouts, but not at limited speeds. I use #6 Peco Streamline Code 83 in my yard with no worries.

A "safe" speed is dependent on the items using the turnout. Box cars, hoppers, tank cars, shorty passenger cars....you can do track speed all the time with #6 turnouts.

I can use mainline speed going through #6 turnouts without any problem. This includes articulates and 80 foot passenger cars. However, I always restrict speeds for crossovers because of the slight S curve...they will make it, but it makes me nervous.:D

and facing speed may be less that trailing speed. "picking the points" happens.

#6 Turnout

Eddie,

The prototype usually has a rule that the speed through a switch should be no more than twice the # of the turnout. Hence, a #6 would give you 12 mph.
How does that scale down to HO? The physics do not scale down at the same ratio, and our models are 'top heavy' at times. As others have mentioned, running 'full speed' through a #6 turnout with big locomotives/long cars is asking for trouble!

Jim

Back