Train Room Progress III - Benchwork done

GrandpaCoyote

Wiley Old Dog
Well folks still on schedule here -

The room was finished Saturday so the bench work started going up yesterday and is done as of tonight (Monday).

So here it is gang after a years worth of planning, scraping, sussing and figurin'. Not the best pics in the world but they will do for tonight. :)

View attachment 4222 View attachment 4223

View attachment 4224 View attachment 4225

List to date:

• One Train Room: Check
    • Flooring: Check
    • Painting: Check
    • Room Finishing: Check

• Bench work: Check
    • Planned and Designed: Check
    • Procured and put together: Check

Good gracious, how did I suddenly go from being an Armchair General to actually being involved in the hobby for more than just talk; what ever shall become of me? :eek:
Oh well no time for back outs now! :D Onto the rest; every upward and onward and always twirling, twirling!

Can you tell I'm one hopped up, overjoyed cat who's more than a lil tired from two days long work? ;)

Peace.

WOW You've been alittle busy, looks fantastic GC. Now I'm gunna have to get some more wood!!

Great work my friend keep it up.

Ken.

Fantastic Benchwork. Did all that go together as a kit? Like A goes to A1 & B goes together w/B2(Just kidding). That was a lot of work in just 2 days. How much sleep did you get in that time?
When I started putting mine together it seems like it was hard to take the time to eat lunch & supper & to quit long enough to get a few winks. Although mine was all welded together w/a mig.
I've always reveled at how someone could put together something in wood that fast.
Anyway, Love the design. Can hardly wait to see the rest. Hope you don't try to do all the track laying in 2 days. LOL

Larry

It< IS>:eek: "extreem make over"!! It's almost magic.Already thinking that it maybe has to do something wiyh the X files:D
I am still dreaming:rolleyes: having a room for my own to built a mrrlayout...

I've never tried commercial benchwork because of the cost, so I'm curious - was the ease of assembly worth the price?

Wow, Coyote! The fun has begun. For me actually building it is much more fun than planning it. Hope you are having fun, 'cause it sure looks good.

WooHoo! Things are looking great!

I'm glad you're keeping us up to date on the construction. It's cool to see the plan coming together.

NZRMac said:
WOW You've been alittle busy, looks fantastic GC. Now I'm gunna have to get some more wood!!

Great work my friend keep it up.

Ken.

Ken,

Thank you sir, it sure has been an adventure; one I've relished almost every minute of - Having a drill turn on "somehow" and come skittering at me was the one part I could have done without. :rolleyes:

How is yours coming along - hope you and yours and your layout are all doing well.

Peace.

Larry said:
Fantastic Benchwork. Did all that go together as a kit? Like A goes to A1 & B goes together w/B2(Just kidding). That was a lot of work in just 2 days. How much sleep did you get in that time?
When I started putting mine together it seems like it was hard to take the time to eat lunch & supper & to quit long enough to get a few winks. Although mine was all welded together w/a mig.
I've always reveled at how someone could put together something in wood that fast.
Anyway, Love the design. Can hardly wait to see the rest. Hope you don't try to do all the track laying in 2 days. LOL

Larry

Larry,

You kid sir but actually you're not far from the mark. :)

The benchwork is a custom made kit I had designed by Mianne Benchwork. Let me tell you what, they do some fine work - great craftsmanship. But then they are professional cabinet and furniture makers. ;)

Between Saturday afternoon and Monday evening I think I logged about 10 hours of sleep maybe - I got bit by the bug bad and had to see it up! :D

I finished doing the tabletop this evening and posted up some pics of it.

*raises right hand* I swear I wont try and lay the track in two days. *looks left and then right* Don't tell the OL but I have this crazy notion that I might just hand lay all the rail :eek: but I'm still debating it.

Thanks again for the kind words Larry.

Peace.

grove den said:
It< IS>:eek: "extreem make over"!! It's almost magic.Already thinking that it maybe has to do something wiyh the X files:D
I am still dreaming:rolleyes: having a room for my own to built a mrrlayout...

Grove Den,

I'll tell you sir - it feels like a kid of magic! :)

Space is the great enemy of all Model Railroaders; I'm sure you'll find some in time - Till then keep up the good work.

Thanks again.

Peace.

Brunton said:
I've never tried commercial benchwork because of the cost, so I'm curious - was the ease of assembly worth the price?

Mark,

I have to say it was.

Dealing with Mr. Foley at Mianne Benchwork was a breeze and joy.

helped work out a custom kit for my needs using as much of their standards kits as he could - to help keep the price down - and got an estimate out to me fast as can be. Once we settled up on cost he and his folks had the stuff tooled out and shipped to me quick.

It came in four c.48 lbs boxes and went together like dream with only two screwdrivers, a level and elbow grease.

As for total price... well for c.122 odd square feet of benchwork at 48" height and shipping and handling for c.200 lbs. of materials it cost me a grand total of $1315.00.

So in the end for a fellow with absolutely no carpentry skill or tools needed to cut my own wood was it worth it -for me-... You bet your sweet bippy it was! :D

I'd do it again in a New York City minute with no regrets.:)

That may have been a longer answer than needed, apologies for the length.

Thanks again.

Peace

rhoward said:
Wow, Coyote! The fun has begun. For me actually building it is much more fun than planning it. Hope you are having fun, 'cause it sure looks good.

Ray,

Thank you sir - I'm having the time of my life. It's great to finally have something other than paper and words :)

Thanks again.

Peace.

OldGettysk said:
Gotta love that big erector set . it's going to look good !!!

Paul,

That is very funny sir, because I'll tell you when I was in the middle of it with pieces all over and half in and half out I swear I told the OL that it was just a giant wooden Erector Set. *laughs*

Great minds think alike.... ;)

Peace.

grande man said:
WooHoo! Things are looking great!

I'm glad you're keeping us up to date on the construction. It's cool to see the plan coming together.

Grande,

Thank you sir. Yes we are indeed blowin' and goin'. I got the tabletop done today and posted some pics of it - no the next slow down begins as I figure some things out.

Thanks for the praise it always means a lot.

Peace.

Looks good, GC.

Take some time and just sit in the middle and watch your trains running. Then start laying track

Back