Train Disaster

SunsetLimited

Enjoy the Journey
Queensland's Worst Train Disaster

Hey guys, I don't know if any of you will find this interesting or not, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

My best friend and I went exploring the mountain ranges west of Brisbane the other day, and I was able to go to the location of somewhere I've always wanted to see...

At 8:50am on May 5th 1947, a crowded picnic train departed Brisbane Roma Street station destined for the Samford Valley to celebrate the Labour Day public holiday. The train consisted of a C17 Class 4-8-0 locomotive, a water gin, and six timber carriages, carrying approximately 215 passengers. Whilst crossing Camp Mountain just 15km into its journey the train lost control and entered a sharp curve at double the posted speed limit.

The engine tipped onto its side and its tender upended. The water gin uncoupled, and was struck squarely by the first carriage. The second carriage's front two compartments were destroyed as it rear-ended the first carriage. The third carriage piled into the second carriage and splintered. The train telescoped during the crash so violently that the total length of the locomotive and tender, water gin, and first three carriages was reduced from 72.67m (238ft 5in) to just 41m (134ft).

16 people including the driver and fireman were killed, with another 38 injured. To date, its the worst railway accident in Queensland's history.

I found the cairn that marks the location of the derailment. The railway to Samford was pulled up decades ago, and the original rail corridor where the crash was is now a quiet road. Here's some pics:

9a368h.jpg
9scqjt.jpg

mb5w5w.jpg
33w15wk.jpg

xq4cm.jpg

Please note: The black and white images are not mine.

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitch,

Interesting post mate, thanks. From the pictures and the car construction, it was lucky that not more people were killed or injured.

Back