Train Controller Silver and Barrett Hill Touch Toggles for Turnouts

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
Having a problem with these two items. The signals related to each turnout aren't changing when I touch one of the pads to throw a turnout.
When I disconnect the leads to the SE8C from the Translator then touch them together, all signals change accordingly and the turnout on the computer screen throws as well.
Somehow, the Translator seems to be messing things up.

Ken, a schematic would be handy here. Shooting in the dark I might say you have a ground issue which could cause invalid voltage levels. Don't want to guess anymore dark shots. Need mo info.
Todh

Are you familiar with the Barrett Hill turnout controls?
Are you familiar with the Train Controller Silver?
Are you familiar with the Digitrax SE8C?

The wiring is quite simple.
Two wires from the SE8C board that are normally attached to a momentary push button are attached to one of the numbered outputs of the Translator board. There are 8 outputs to handle 8 turnouts. Plug in the touch pad to the corresponding turnout control using the prefab three wire connector and you're done.
No place to add a ground wire. The translator board takes the action of the LED touch pad and converts it to a momentary connection between the two posts where the momentary push button would normally be. There is no ground connection there either.
This is more of a programming issue than a "find the misplaced ground" problem. That's why I ask if you are familiar with any of the components.

Well I guess that I'ma used to seeing something when you get the "I connected two widgets together and it does not work" scenerio. Your question sure looked like an electrical problem when you stated that you could hook up wires to some of the devices and it worked. No reference at all to setup/configuration. Sorry to waste your time.

well, that's why I specified the components. If you're not familiar with them, you're not going to be much help in resolving the issue, right?

I can't find a resolution to this issue so I decided to pull all the Berrett Hill touch pads out and restore the momentary push buttons.
I completed the installation of one this evening and it works correctly. Should take a few days to replace all 24 of them on the layout.

Back