Traction tire sizes?

Hos

Hello everyone.

I have several older locomotives that need new traction tires. The problem is a lot of the tires I see (steward or calumet) only say trains it'll fit and not actual mm or inches. Does anyone have Intel on this?

I need tires that are about 12, 20, 25mm. They're all about 0.25mm bigger than the a over measurements, but I'm assuming they stretch a little.

Help me out please. Some are just dry rotted and others are gone completely.

Just a suggestion if you have time and are curious.

I went and bought o-rings from a hardware store. O-rings used in plumbing have a smaller ring thickness than automobile applications. I figured a handful of o-rings would be less expensive than purchasing the replacement traction tires from a manufacturer. The locomotive did run well up the 2% grade but not through switches or on small radius turns. Back to the project shelf to tinker some more.

I think you should assume that, at least in the N and HO scales, the diameters of drivers will be rather close to the prototype's relative to the rest of the locomotive. Even if there is a disparity of two or three mm, as is the case with the small Trix Big Boy tires, whatever your steamer is should be a reasonably safe bet for fit.

However, there are several Hudson types. Some had drivers down into the sub-60" range, while others were up at 84". You'll need to caliper what you have and 'splain to Calumet or whomever that you don't want them to send you something that you can't use. Or to pay for it.

Phone them, or contact them via email, maybe both.

I can't find the parent company. I've looked for a while and the only search results I get are resellers. Not the company itself.

As for the orings, I know McMaster sells square and x profile rings in silicone. I'll have to check if they're small enough for these wheels.

Back