Tracks For (G Scale)

shorty

Hey i need help do you know of any hobby shops in hillsboro, Oregon that carry G scale tracks and swich tracks because i just need a new set of tracks

Your best bet is probably the good ol' Yellow Pages listings for trains, model trains, or hobby shops. Also, Google "G-Scale track" for suppliers that sell over the Internet.

You can also contact Garden Railroad clubs near you. Garden Railways magazine lists six in Oregon. You can sometimes buy good used track at very reasonable prices from other garden railroaders.

Happy hunting.

thanks that was vary heplful and can i put my tracks out side or will they get runied because of all of the rain

Last edited by a moderator:
shorty said:
...can i put my tracks out side...?
Most garden railroaders leave their track outside year round, but heavy rains (or melting snow) can cause problems if you don't allow for good drainage beneath and to the sides of the track. After some washouts during last year's heavy rains, I've raised my trackbed by packing extra gravel under the tracks, then re-ballasting between the ties.

We haven't had any heavy rains yet this year, so I don't know how successful my "fix" will be. But as a precaution, I have some "weed cloth" strips ready to lay over the track when heavy (pounding) rain is forecast.

shorty said:
thanks that was vary heplful and can i put my tracks out side or will they get runied because of all of the rain

Shorty,

I don't mean to butt in here, but I want to make sure of something. If the track you purchase is brass or stainless steel, then yes it's good to run outside with very little cleanup.

If you have aluminum track, then no, that should not be placed outside. Some will argue, but aluminum track, i.e. Bachmann track, will rust and warp very quickly in the elements.

If you stick with brass or stainless steel, you'll be able to keep your track outside for many years to come.

"Some will argue, but aluminum track, i.e. Bachmann track, will rust and warp very quickly in the elements."

HMMM!! This is the foirst time I have ever heard of Aluminum rusting. Maybe you meant corrode instead of rust? When steel and aluminum come in contact with each other a chemical reaction occurs and the aluminum will decinerate into mush. I know this because the back bumper on my 77 pontiac fell off from this chemical reaction.

Last edited:

Back