Track Laying Tool?

beiland

Looking for the name and description of that 'wheeled type' tool that would mark the centerlines of track onto the subroadbed of plywood thru the paper pattern lying on the plywood.

I have most of my track plans drawn out full scale onto brown 'construction paper', and now I wish to start laying track onto the plywood deck, but can't leave the paper pattern under the track.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...full-size-paper-templates-of-trackplan.30958/

A flat blade screwdriver pressed through the paper every few inches, could be an alternative.

I got away from tracing my track plan onto the benchwork. It always got hidden under the cork roadbed so I couldn't see it anyway.
I found that I could just lay the cork in the area that I wanted the track, and make sure it had smooth transitions into and out of the curves. Track would fit quite well on the cork and by using an adhesive caulk, I could make fine adjustments to the track before the caulk dried. Nails don't let ya do that.

I've been contemplating just 3d printing a guide to lay tracks. It's overkill if you're not either using flexible track or hand laying, but in those cases, having a guide that has the appropriate groove for the track bed and track would likely save a bunch of time.

Otherwise the suggestions already made seem like they'd be much less work.

Back