Track for 3 rail layout

briangcc

This is probably going to turn into a "What engine oil is best" type of discussion BUT I'll ask anyways....

I'm looking to build a layout in my basement for my boy's Lionel/K-Line/Weaver/MTH/Williams/etc trains. It's all 3 rail and I currently have a small loop of Fasttrak for around our Christmas tree. I want something a bit more realistic for a layout as I don't necessarily like the cast ballast or that the track joiners are iffy. **Disclaimer: I have built HO and N scale layouts using Atlas track and soldered the joints so that's where I think I'm headed with this much larger layout.

So is Atlas OK to use for a home layout? Is there something better/equivalent? Gargraves?? What switches are good??

Powerwise I'm probably looking at a MRC unit or perhaps MTH. Going to be conventional as all the locomotives are conventional power and I really don't think they can handle a digital setup right now - 7, 5, and 2. They just want the trains to run!

You can build what you can afford. Fasttrak is ok. I do not believe any track offered today is junk. You may want to consider sources that are close. Heck go to craigslist and buy someones table! If you can move it. This post may shock members I have not been here for years.

For brand new track, Atlas O is about the most realistic. For older track, Super O made by Lionel many years ago and findable on ebay is even more realistic IMHO. The thin blade style center rail is much more invisable than any blackened rail. But use whatever is best for you. The ballest style like Fastrak is good for carpet railroads as it keeps oil/grease from exposed gears off the carpet and fuzz and hair from the carpet out of the gears. I grew up using old fashioned Tubular tinplate track. Mike

I'm looking to build a layout in my basement for my boy's Lionel/K-Line/Weaver/MTH/Williams/etc trains. It's all 3 rail and I currently have a small loop of Fasttrak for around our Christmas tree. I want something a bit more realistic for a layout as I don't necessarily like the cast ballast or that the track joiners are iffy.

So is Atlas OK to use for a home layout? Is there something better/equivalent? Gargraves?? What switches are good??
I had this same question when I purchased (started purchasing) my Lionel Scale Polar Express train set a couple years ago. After looking at stuff and pondering for almost 6 months, I ended up going with Atlas. I purchased minimum O-54, but mostly O-64 and O-72. I have not yet purchased one of their #5 turnouts, as all my stuff is for Christmas duty, but they look great to me.

I agree with Dub "I do not believe any track offered today is junk." Good to see you Dub!

Personally I love FastTrack, it's simple and readily available. I don't put any effort or thought into track, except for the plan itself. Realism is not important to me.

malletman makes a good point, Lionel Super O is a good choice. It can really look good with a little effort.

You could always use old school tubular track. I've seen people make it look very good with add ties, ballast and more. It can be cheap to buy as well.

I'd suggest you look at lots of other peoples layouts. There are many options, find the track you like best.

Don't be a stranger, let us know what you go with. I think I speak for all of us when I say "we like to see other peoples work".

Personally, I'm always glad to see another 3 railer!

Have fun!

Back