Track Cleaning

What does everyone use to clean track? I have seen products made specificly for that purpose but what are other alternatives (like alcohol, etc.).

As for alternative methods, I've heard good things about metal polishes. Apparently they can greatly increase the time between required cleanings.

Be warned, I have not tried this myself yet. I have no idea what (if any) side effects there may be.

SRT.

Goo Gone, and then after a good cleaning, wahl clipper oil. Though I've never used the clipper oil myself.

I use a briteboy,alcohol and a rag..I was using Radio Shacks Channel Turner Cleaner until our local 'Shack closed.

I use a centerline car to dry the rail and a CMX car from Tony's to apply the 91% IsoAlcohol.

Now that I am having major ops sessions, I find I need to clean once per month. This is a large layout too.....

I wouldn't do the wahl clipper oil if you have a helix or heavy grades. Anything that makes the rail slippery will kill pulling power.

Also, be very careful of goo gone. I use to use it and after a while it got the rails sticky.

I started using IsoAlcohol and it works great and evaporates away!

I did a section of my main line with metal polish a couple of months ago and it is still bright and no dirt collection. I've heard that a very light application of clipper oil will help but haven't tried it.

I use metal polish about every 3 months. Just make sure after you use the polish that you clean it w/a clean cloth. Between cleaning I sometimes use a cloth that I buy at Walmart in the automotive section. It comes in a container & they are kinda wet. I will try to get the name today at work.
Then every consist of train that I run on my mainlines I have a box car w/a small piece of masonite attached that lays on the track & that does an excellent job.

I like "Rail-Zip" . It removes oxidization like cleaning pennies and then leaves a fine protective coating that last. Wenzol is an awesome cleaner. (I get it at auto shows in a tube)..Try it on a penny...do half of it and it restore a penny to new....you will amaze friends with how quick it works..anything like this works!

Back