Tower Flood Lights for Freight Yards and Industrial Scenes

beiland

I couldn't find any subject threads that really depict a variety of these tower lights one might find in a freight yard or other industrial scenes. I have some older versions, but I would like to find more. or even new versions with LEDs??

[%2520tanks]

How well I remember "yard lights" as a kid in Kansas City. Basically, a "yard light" was a tower with a bank of spot lights pointing both directions. The "yard lights" were placed throughout the yard at appropriate intervals. All the significant yards had them: Frisco, Santa Fe, UP, Rock Island, Wabash, CB&Q, KCS/MILW, et al.
Question: Has a mfg'er created a set of yard lights during my 15-17 year absence from HO?
Thanks for any input.
Andre

Google Ho Scale Tower lights.
I found these but their is a wide variety.

This is a laser cut Tower, although it has the lighting heads, they don't work so you would have to add your own LED's

Hope this helps.

Saw this on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/185533427508

Ho 1:87 Railway Train Station Spotlights Outdoor Lights Model Lamps 8pcs/lot​

1673873691507.png

1673873788026.png

1673873822382.png

1673873853450.png

1673873888802.png

1673873928256.png

Last edited:
Neal M wrote:
Brian, NJ International has released new Double Light and Quad Light Towers in HO scale with LED's. You'll need to check some of the online sites to see who stocks them. I know they were getting a delivery either this week or already received it as I speak to the owner about his lights and signals all the time. We go back 50 years and we've teamed up some projects..

I went to their site, and did not get too much additional info yet,....just this...
http://www.njinternational.com/litetwr.htm

New Product & Making them Removabe

Kind of strange the timing of this subject. I had been working on a board I placed over on my incomplete diesel fueling and freight yard areas tracks when I thought about those tower floodlites I had on my previous layout,....and how many I still have, and how many I might desire?

That prompted me to look briefly for similar items, ...and then make this subject thread posting looking for such items.
Then what do you know, it turns out the NJ International just happens to have re-introduced that item,...what timing !!

Now I need to make a trip to my cargo storage trailer and see how many of the original ones I saved?.......and maybe how best to convert them to LEDs??

Since I may likely be reaching over these towers to get to items behind them (mainline derails, track switches, freight yard car derails, etc), ...I am wondering how they might be set in place so as to be easily removed at times,....some sort of mini round battery in their bases, ..or something similar,...rather than hard wired ??

New Product & Making them Removabe

Kind of strange the timing of this subject. I had been working on a board I placed over on my incomplete diesel fueling and freight yard areas tracks when I thought about those tower floodlites I had on my previous layout,....and how many I still have, and how many I might desire?

That prompted me to look briefly for similar items, ...and then make this subject thread posting looking for such items.
Then what do you know, it turns out the NJ International just happens to have re-introduced that item,...what timing !!

Now I need to make a trip to my cargo storage trailer and see how many of the original ones I saved?.......and maybe how best to convert them to LEDs??

Since I may likely be reaching over these towers to get to items behind them (mainline derails, track switches, freight yard car derails, etc), ...I am wondering how they might be set in place so as to be easily removed at times,....some sort of mini round battery in their bases, ..or something similar,...rather than hard wired ??
You could also use mini two pin plugs, hard wire it in and disguise the plug by painting it a dark colour and some type of foliage.

Scratch building the towers from styrene shouldn't be too difficult or expensive. If you like that sort of thing (scratch building) then making your own Flood Towers may not be out of the question perhaps?

I'm thinking that those LED offerings could be placed on my used towers, IF replacing the bulbs with LEDs in my used towers proved to be too much of a project.

I am more interested to the overall image of the light/towers themselves than the actual lighting function. Maybe i will just place them on the layout initially, then worry about making them light up for a future project?

I'm thinking that those LED offerings could be placed on my used towers, IF replacing the bulbs with LEDs in my used towers proved to be too much of a project.

I am more interested to the overall image of the light/towers themselves than the actual lighting function. Maybe i will just place them on the layout initially, then worry about making them light up for a future project?
You can turn anything into a light tower, even a electricity pylon or telegraph pole, but I think it depends on the era your modelling if any, and what you find aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

These that I had on my old layout were just the most appealing to transmit that steam-to-diesel era

%2520tanks.jpg

I also used a few of those in my turntable scene, and will again,...
%2520steam.jpg

rt%2520blg.jpg

I wish I had room for 1 or 2 of those revell engine houses, but I don't. On top of a few I already had, I picked up a box of misc items at the Jacksonville show this past weekend with a few of these structures in pieces, .....so now I have a whole collection of them I need to dispose of.

Last edited:

Back