Totally Unexpected!!

SunsetLimited

Enjoy the Journey
My layouts are always quite sentimental to me, and I appreciate it when my family and friends contribute in some way. My best friend helped me paint my backdrop, my mum built a small building, my dad helps with the benchwork... this sort of thing.

I asked my sister if there was anything she would like to contribute. She's very uninterested in the hobby, but she enjoys art projects and family is very important to her, so she weathered an N Scale covered hopper.

Considering this is the first time my sister has ever done anything even remotely related to the hobby, I'm really surprised! I'm very proud of her.

Here is the end result:

28atedx.jpg

Let me know how you guys think she did. She'd appreciate any feedback. Please remember this was her first ever model railway project.

Mitch

Since these are normally used for cement, sand, etc., they should show spillage around the hatches & down the sides.

Seems like that car needs a serious effort at corrosion control (or as we used to say in the Air Force, "crust and crud"). Seriously, great job!!!

I don't think so, Greg. It's not really her idea of a hobby. Besides, there's only enough room in this house for one model train room!!

Great job!
I'd like to see what she can do with a locomotive? Girls use makeup all the time, so they should be good at weathering.

Great job!
I'd like to see what she can do with a locomotive? Girls use makeup all the time, so they should be good at weathering.

Dunno 'bout that Sherrel, don't they use makeup to achieve the opposite effect???

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't say to your missus or GF after she's spent an hour doing her "fixin's", "Honey I love your the way you look, think you could weather a couple of box cars for me?"

There were some posts in the coffee shop a few years ago of engines (NS I think) showing the repainting of locos in a paint booth to freshen them up. We get nice clean models, all beautifully presented and make them look like they haven't had a wash even in their life. Weathering of models in Australia doesn't seem to add to their value, or appreciation of the work and skill involved, like it does in the US, especially in resale. It's noticeable at buy and sells. Running on a layout, they get oohs, aahs and compliments, but on a sales table, everyone goes for the newest looking.

Back