tooter goes big time...

Tooter.... what's next? This?

1333944839022.jpg

That is a mock-up of a tank car to train tank car cleaning crews. It even has those spoked wheels that you like :D

Very cool Eric, might have to re-gauge a little tho...
Greg that trackwork is lookin' good! All I can do here is run the lawntractor down my ROW and make choo choo noises in my head! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... that tank is HUGE! :eek:

Finally got the pull cart going... :)

[YOUTUBE]YPWJGJlNITE[/YOUTUBE]

The bottom curve of the track is level and the straight section is a 5% grade then a 7% grade going into the upper curve.

The downhill was fine. The uphill had me saying, "I think he can, I think he can".

Greg, you need to install a flywheel on it.

It actually takes very little effort to get it up the grade because the handle has a lot of leverage. Tt took a bit of experimenting to get that right because I was building everything from scratch with no previous examples to work from. One feature it had to have is the ability to coast, because if it didn't, I'd get beat to death with the lever on the screaming downhill runs. :p

Not to mention you'd just be going forwards & backwards on the same section of track! :D

Have you had any neighbours or passers-by ask you what you're doing?

It'll easily be a year before I get all of the track laid as it's quite a time consuming process to get the gradient right through the joints while keeping the rails level with each other.

While none of the neighbors have asked because what I'm doing is self evident...

IMG_5794.jpg

...they all want rides.;)

Tooter, love this thread and am amazed at all the work you have put into this. I recently discovered the New Jersey Live Steam is 10 minutes from my house and they are recreating the Tuckerton Rail Road in 1 1/2 inch scale. They have two beautiful steam locos, an electric switcher and a Fairmont Speeder from the same company you got your stuff from. The president showed me how to run the speeder and I am hooked :D My 2 boys loved it as well. They are in need of volunteers and with my wifes blessing I will be there most Saturday mornings helping out :D:D

Tooter, love this thread and am amazed at all the work you have put into this. I recently discovered the New Jersey Live Steam is 10 minutes from my house and they are recreating the Tuckerton Rail Road in 1 1/2 inch scale. They have two beautiful steam locos, an electric switcher and a Fairmont Speeder from the same company you got your stuff from. The president showed me how to run the speeder and I am hooked :D My 2 boys loved it as well. They are in need of volunteers and with my wifes blessing I will be there most Saturday mornings helping out :D:D

Thanks, blue. :)

The little railroad gets my spare time and I don't always have it so the progress is in fits and starts. But there's no time deadline and the real fun is in the construction. :)

RMI is a really good company run by a true railroad innovator. He's actually building a full sized 1:1 scale 3 foot narrow gauge railroad! I got to see his project and it's positively jawdropping! :eek:

You're lucky to have an operating railroad so close to you! It's a blessing to have such easy access to a genuine father and son railroad experience. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to lay some more rail today. Extending the spur line... :)

IMG_6072.jpg

The next rail will cross the creek culvert and begin the steep uphill turn around the propane tank. I keep telling our chicken to watch for the trains when crossing the tracks, but she doesn't listen to me.

"Extending the spur line"

Hey, I'm thinking you need to exercise the right of eminent domain and head into the neighbor's yard. The justification being: what could possibly be more eminent than a model railroad?

Is that a chicken on your right of way?

Reminds me of that old joke, Why did the chicken cross......... :p

That chicken is a little out of scale don't you think?
Better trade her in for a Cornish game hen...

Testing the track on the spur line... :)

[YOUTUBE]R9HttAqBjPc[/YOUTUBE]

...but I can't seem to get Bock Bock to ride on the cart. ;)

I found myself laughing. Not at the video, but because I was sitting here watching the video with this big grin on my face. I 'stepped back' and realized how funny this really is. Thanks for the chuckle, Greg.

I fully understand, Dad... :)

This whole project has been no end of fun because it turned out to be a hilarious mixture of railroad and roller coaster. I ride on that little cart over and over again, grinning all the way. :)

Back