Tool for removing steam loco from track

Pipestretcher

Hopefully you guys can help me. Some time ago I saw an add for an apparatus that is designed to remove and replace a large locomotive without damaging it. It was basically a plank with a straight rail and sides that you can set on the track and safely remove the loco from the track or place it on the track without having to fumble with getting all the wheels lined up.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Hehehe. And all this time I thought that the tool was called a "pair of hands." :D
LOL! That's the problem Larry...sometimes my hands work like the big electromagnet that you see in the junk yard tossing old jalopy's around!!

The question is, will it handle an HO 2-8-8-4 with a tender??

If not you could always build your own. I would start with one of those plastic re-railers made by Rix.

That's actually a really good idea Cj. I received it in the mail last week and haven't had a chance to assemble and test it, but I can already tell it's not long enough for the whole rig. Once I get it out and work with it a bit, I'll see if I can make some modifications. I'll post them if I find something worth doing if anyone else is interested.

Back