Took the DCC plunge

JHansen

I did it. I ordered a NCE DCC starter kit that should be all I'll ever need. Now why do I hear laughter in the distance? I also came to the sobering realization that I own precisely ONE loco that I can convert to DCC. It's the Kato SD 70 M that I received in the mail today. My Bachmann Great Northern 4-8-4 that I had such high hopes for? I was told to remove the body on the tender and look for the circuit board with a connector. There's nothing in there but a weight. I removed the body of the loco in desperation. Nothing encouraging in there either in the way of room for a chip or any sign if a plug recepticle. Do I hear more laughter? The Athern 2-8-0 with the 1860's look (Athern #10911) I didn't have much hope for in the first place. It has the motor in the tender and the entire loco is tiny. I just didn't see any way to fit a circuit board in there. Too bad because it is a really nice looking and smooth running loco. I guess it will be on Ebay soon. So will the Bachmann 4-8-4. I'm hoping I can recoup enough to at least pay for most of a DCC w/sound equipped steam loco. What? Do I hear laughter again?!!

John

quick plug is certainly convenient but the lack of it is not the end of the world.
hardwire your decoders. i hear isolating old motors can be fun thing (in a very not fun way) but doable.
and the effort is worth it

although i don't have experience with steamers. installed decoder in one of non-dcc ready athrean GP's

EDIT,
ohhh didn't realize you have N sacale. that might be even more interesting...

You can probably convert the 4-8-4. Just because it doesn't have a quick plug doesn't mean it can't be done. If you're comfortable with soldering and know how to use a multimeter, almost any locomotive can be converted to DCC. I'd suggest you give the techs at Tony's Train Exchange a call. They are all nice guys and know just about everything about converting locomotives to DCC. I promise they won't laugh at you - I've called with some pretty dumb questions and they never laughed at me. :) They'll let you know if the 4-8-4 can be converted, the right decoder to buy, and even send you a sheet by e-mail with step by step instructions. Tony's has been a real lifesaver for me.

It would seem that, like a lot of other things in life, I have chosen the hardest one to do. Diesel locos just don't interest me and steamers are the hardest to convert to DCC. LOL!

Thanks,
John

Back