Todd J.'s Florida Central Build Thread

SpitFireV12RR

Hello

Okay. I have finally went out and bought the lumber for my layout. This is the absolute last time I'm changing spaces, as this will be a portibal layout anyways.
I was origonally going to build an N scale layout on a bunkbed...even made a thread on it, but then was told that I would have to sell all my HO stuff to get N and was offered a space a little better for HO. What are you gonna do, eh?
Now to the statistics.

Prototype RR: Florida Central(Imaginary).
Time: 1940s & 50s when Florida wasn't populated too much and there was still a large logging business.
Region: Central and Southern Florida.

Size: 4 x 8.
Construction: Plywood(Pine), Foam, Plastic, and Cardboard.
Paint: Green w/ Waterseal.

Track: Flextrack
Turnouts: Peco # 4, #6, and curved.
DCC or DC: DCC, Digitrax Zephyr.
Roadbed: Cork(On mainline & "Yard") and Foam(On sidings).
Industries served: Retail stores(Unknown), Passengers, and a small logging business.

Okay, now that we have that out of the way...I start with my benchwork plan.

Plan.jpg

The outside edges are made of 2" x 4"s. The 8' edge is 96 1/2"(typo in the plan), and the 4' edge being 44 1/2. The 1/2" parts allow for 1/4" on each edge for faulty cutting of plywood or foam. Each of the 1" x 4"s are spaced at 24" apart.

I'm going to use the legs from the Worlds Greatest Hobby's "Building your first Model Railroad".

My plan is a knock-off of "Building your first Model Railroad"'s track plan. This is how it will look...or something along those lines.

FloridaCentralSouthern.jpg

There will be a road where the rerailers are(Part # 844) and a town in that area. The spur next to the town area will service retailers and the spur to the right of that will service the logging area.

I will add pics soon. My lumber is at my uncle's place getting cut, so when I get it back I'll show everyone the results. Going to get the 4 x 8 tomarrow.

Here is the cut wood.

CutWood001.jpg

CutWood002.jpg

BTW, in that picture, the wood is on sawhorses, drying from my waterseal application. I plan to put the frame together with the frame wood pre-watersealed and then when the plywood goes on the frame, I'm going to water-seak that while it is streched out and all the little holes are open.

Here are the pictures from 6/22/06 . We would have finished the plywood's frame, but decided to go to Universal(I live a mile or so from it). We completed the outside structure(2 x 4s). All we have to put in now are the 3 support pieces in the middle(1 x 4s).
They are held together by 1/4" x 3" fine thread screws. We drilled 1/8" pilot holes instead of 1/4", so the threads would have something to grip to.
I learned a handy thing from my grandpa today about "noisy" screws. Take a bar of soap and lubricate the threads of the screws. It eliminates the "sqeaky" noise and they go in much easier!

Day1Framework001.jpg

Day1Framework002.jpg

Also, I never really measured "dimentional lumber" before. Did you know that a 2 x 4 is actually a 1 1/2 x 3 1/2? What a ripoff!

Here are todays(6/23/06) pics so far. I've also included the tools and screws that I'm working with. All for my future website though.

Pic 1 - This is the frame with the added 1 x 4 supports. They are spaced 24" apart.

Day2Framework001.jpg

2 - Just a diffrent view.

Day2Framework002.jpg

3 - Corded electric drill for drilling.

Day2Framework004.jpg

4 - 1/8" drill bit I'm using.

Day2Framework005.jpg

5 - Cordless drill for screwing in screws.

Day2Framework006.jpg

6 - 3" screws for framework.

Day2Framework007.jpg

7 - 1 1/4" screws for table top.

Day2Framework008.jpg

This and Pic 2 are just the tabletop, screwed in with 1 1/4" screws.

Day2TabletopLegs002.jpg

Day2TabletopLegs001.jpg

Pics 3 & 4 - These are pictures of the legs. They are held together with a series of five 3" screws on each leg and two 1 1/4" screws. The crossbar is held together with 4 carriage bolts, with flat washers and lock nuts.

Day2TabletopLegs003.jpg

Day2TabletopLegs004.jpg

Pic 5 - This is a leveler on the center of the crossbar. You can barely see it, but the bubble is only about a fraction of an inch out of the centerline. There are 2 x 2 supports on the inside of the leg on the bottem, where 1/4" holes are drilled, where 1/4" tee nuts and threaded leveling feet will go.

Day2TabletopLegs005.jpg

I would very much like input from everyone on the benchwork, trackplan, anything at all.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd,

Great topic - thanx for posting it! Wish I would have pre-treated my benchwork lumber before I installed it - oh well too late now.

Are you going to put a view-separator on there somewhere?

Hi Todd, are you going to put levelling screws in the bottom of of the leg's, it look's like you are as you have block's fastened on at the bottom

Yes I am. There are 1/4" holes drilled in there for tee nuts and threaded leveling feet, when I can actually find them(No one in home depot knew what a threaded leveling foot). I did get tee nuts, but the wrong size.

Just use a long full-threaded bolt with a nut, that will fit the Tee-nut. Screw it in or out until level and then run the nut up against the Tee-nut and tighten to lock it.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlnads

Hey guys,

I made some more progress this week. I finished up the other leg on monday & tuesday and put them on tonight. There are a surplus of pictures, but who cares!

Here are overall pictures.

BenchworkComplete002.jpg

BenchworkComplete001.jpg

BenchworkComplete003.jpg

Here is an underview of the legs and framework.

BenchworkComplete005.jpg

BenchworkComplete004.jpg

Here are pictures of a level in the center of the table.

BenchworkComplete006.jpg

BenchworkComplete007.jpg

BenchworkComplete008.jpg

Back